Don't use the kill switch, is that right?

motolink

Nitrous
Ride
2011 Roadster and 2001 Bonneville
I read on this forum somewhere that you should not stop the engine by the kill switch, only use the ignition switch or do the 12 minute tune.
Is this correct?

I don't believe there's any real problem using the kill switch, but it's not meant for turning the engine off routinely. I always use the key or, if I'm on a hill, the side stand to switch off.

More people than care to admit it (I'm sure) have had the dreaded and humiliating experience of kill switch no-start.

Not sure what the connection is between switching off and the 12 minute tune. What do you mean, mate?

What read was, if you continually use the kill switch to turn off the motor it can upset some settings in the ECU requiring the 12 minute to fix.

What read was, if you continually use the kill switch to turn off the motor it can upset some settings in the ECU requiring the 12 minute to fix.

I hope it's alright to stop with the side stand as I park my bike on a gentle slope every day and leave it in gear.

I have never used the kill switch on any motorbike I have ever ridden for no other reason than I don't use the kill switch. But if I try to start a bike and the kill switch is off it gets me every time.

On my 06 hardley sportster, after I put a Thunder Heart ignition module in, if you turn the key on, with the stop button "off", then turn the stop button "on" and start the bike, it will act up, cut out, die, all kinds of crazy stuff. I learned the hard way with it. Leave the "kill/stop" switch on. I only use the key on everything now.

For the last 65000miles I have used the side stand to shut my bike off that is the main reason I havenot been one of them idiots who drive into a petrol station and the bike falls over

I pulled up at a set of lights once and didn't put either foot down, ooops - I sometimes think I was dropped on my head as a youngster.

Back