dogard

.020 Over
Ride
rocket 3 classic 2006
hey guys a bit of advice please. last month i bought a 2006 classic with only 5000miles on it. it now has 7000miles and im gonna change the tyres(still on originals). i have been reading the forum re pulling the final drive unit and greasing the splines with a good moly grease. what i want to know is do you use this grease on the splined ring that is exposed when you pull the wheel. many thanks.

Someone really abused that bike by only putting 5000miles on it:eek: I know petrol is expensive back home but I would have put more miles on it pushing it around, twp thousand miles on twelve year old tyres:eek: you have bigger balls than me.
Put down where you are from I know Scotland is a big place but give us a hint.:D
What tyres are you going with?

stenhousemuir. nr falkirk. rear tyre is done front looks like new but is def a 2005 tyre going by the dating code, its getting changed anyway because of the age. going with the cobras. i have used them before on a thunderbird and liked them.

My Dad was from Kilsyth and my Mum from Condorratt (next to Cumbernauld) the cobras are good tyres i have them on my 2005std, I put a exceedra max on my 2011 rear and a 140 mitch on the front.
Have you had the bike up the Falkirk Wheel yet :eek::D

Actually the answer is NO. You have to take the final drive unit off by removing the four bolts left side of swing arm. You need more than a good quality grease. You need grease containing approximately 60% moly. The splines are on the driveshaft into the final drive.

Rereading your post it looks like you are on the right track. A regular moly grease is fine where the wheel goes on.

i was up the wheel before it was open to the public. i am ex fire service and we had the hydraulic platform up to make sure we could reach the top boat in case of failure. scary stuff. we had to reverse the motor along a narrow causeway and narrow jack it to reach the top. 100ft. put me off the wheel for life.

Back