Don't do this (another kickstand)

Could be most popular thread title yet. "Don't Do This" and before we even know what it's about we're all thinking, wait, I might want to try whatever this is.....:)

Glad your bike is OK and sorry you will need some time to heal. Yeah, I've also been there and done that.

Here's another good one NOT to do... Don't forget to pump the brakes after removing the rear wheel, then take off down a super steep long driveway. When the brake pedal bottoms out as you quickly pick up speed, you tend to start grabbing on the front brake resulting in the rear end swinging around, once you add a hint of gravel. I was on a Triumph Trophy 900. It threw me down so hard, so fast, right about the time I just figured out what was going on with the rear brake. I nearly broke my collar bone, royally scuffed up the left fairing, scratched up my helmet (never leave home without one) and the shoulder armor on my expensive Dainese jacket.

I only share this story so you don't feel so all alone and maybe smarter by comparison.

We tend to not repeat the same mistakes, learned the hard way.

Last edited:
ok, i feal really stupid now, forgot the kickstand on my Virago, and it pinned me into the car, only scratched the car, so all good, shut down the with side stand and forgot to turn the key off, in fact didn't even take the key out of the bike and went for lunch. Came back after lunch, dead battery, hooked up the power pack and tried to start it and that immediately kicked off the immobilizer, and of course the key fob was about 200km away back at home, thank goodness for CAA.

Although i think back, and that wasn't as bad as one of my beginner students, i guess it was our fault for not explaining that when you bring the motorcycle to a stop you need to put your feet down, student was an older gentleman, he was riding a Honda Grom, while doing one of the exercises he brought the bike to a stop, very nicely, and then proceeded to tip over sideway and fall to the ground, he feet never left the pegs in this whole process, i went over and explained that he had to put his feet down when he stops or he will fall over. Great he has it now, next time around he comes to a stop and tips over again, feet never leaving the foot pegs, so i explained again, you need to put your feet down or you will tip over, asked him if he understood what i was asking of him, asked him to demonstrate it for me, Great he got it, WooHoooo, next time around, he comes to a stop and tips over again, feet never leaving the foot pegs, i just shook my head and walked away at that point, eventually he did figure it out.

Oh yes...twice. Glad I already had my helmet on when my head whacked the ground. There should be a lockout for not being able to turn off the engine until the stand is down!

Back