Doing background research

Stillserving

LET'S GO BRANDON
Ride
86' Magna, 2017 R3R
Hey guys. I've lurked around a little, but figured I'd join and introduce myself. I've been riding for about 20+ years and looking to upgrade to a new bike when the truck is paid off in a few years, and decided the R3 will be the bike! I'm just doing background research so I can hit the ground running when the time comes. Any good research to look at to really get my feet wet?

Howdy & Welcome

images

And thank you for serving! still!
The Best research you can do on the R3 is to keep on fishing through this forum ;) :thumbsup: :cool:

Welcome from Florida,best research go to the dealer like your going to buy one but want to take a test ride you'll be hooked.

Welcome from sunny Southern California!

The Roadster had a significant update in 2010. Besides providing updates for several parts that were prone to failure and blacking out much of the trim, Triumph also made the following important changes:
  • Added ABS
  • Beefed up the clutch, shaft drive, and gear selection
  • Softened the rear shocks 20% (still terrible in stock form IMO)
  • Added clock, fuel gauge, and gear position sensor
  • Changed exhaust configuration to 1 muffler on each side
  • Foot controls moved back 100mm, down 20mm (moving from a cruiser- to a roadster-style stance)
  • Tuned (ECU and exhaust) for 11% increase in HP and 15% increase in torque
Good luck!

Dunno if anyone has maintained a list significant threads for newbies to sift through, but as others have said just lurk around a bit, ask a question in a thread or two and you'll hit the highlights in no time.

FAQs:

Is the touring as powerful a as a roadster?
Yup, differences are mostly cosmetic. They share the same engine and transmission. The performance difference is attributed to an ECU tune you can easily overwrite with a $20 cable, and possibly a little power lost due to the angle of the final drive to accomidate the narrower rear wheel.

How long does the engine last?
Several reports of 100k with no major issues, many others get to 70k+ without too much fuss. It's a solid platform. However ther have been a few lemons too.

Years to avoid, known issues?
If it's pre 2009 make sure it mentions an update kit. There were a few weaknesses in the earlier models that needed to be fixed. If it doesn't mention the update kit, get one at 15k+. The trend is that the issues would crop up around 10k and if it didn't break by then it won't. They all have a potential problem with the ignition with the newer models being less susceptible but not immune. This can easily be fixed with an Eastern Beaver relay kit.

Max horsepower?
Pull out the air intake plumbing, get a new exhaust, and update the tune and you've got an extra 40hp. If you want big numbers you can contact Carpenter Racing or Neville Lush Racing and you can get their kits. Neither require forced air or changing cylinder size. (Carpenter has a 265HP kit that runs on standard gasoline). If you want a blower, those options exist too. Again, theses options exist for the touring as well.

Does it handle like a Mack truck?
Nope. Low speed handling kinda sucks and if you go for one of the models that has the 280 on the rear you'll need to counter steer more than just about any other bike on the road but she's actually quite nimble for a cruiser. A change to the rubber can only improve her behavior.

Does it handle like a Mack truck?
Nope. Low speed handling kinda sucks and if you go for one of the models that has the 280 on the rear you'll need to counter steer more than just about any other bike on the road but she's actually quite nimble for a cruiser. A change to the rubber can only improve her behavior.

Has anyone put a 280 on the rear or is this just a typo(240)

Back