Does the factory tune for TORS remove restrictions?

Mike Sands

Supercharged
Ride
roadster 2012
My Roadster is a 2012 bike and I'm thinking of getting the dealer to fit the TORS and the tune that comes with them. So a couple of questions. Does the tune they would install remove the torque limitations in the first 3 gears (I'm not bothered about the 125 top speed limit). Secondly is there any danger of any new tune that they put in making it 'tamperproof' thereafter like the 2014 Roadster ecu's are rumoured to be?
Thanks
Mike

I have just had the TOR's installed on my 2012, as far as I am aware it dosn't remove the restrictions, factory tune for TOR's is 020355 and I doubt that it will lock the ECU

I believe that the torque limitations in gear 1-3 to which you refer, is more technically known as timing retardation, Mike. I don't believe that adding TORS and the factory tune that should go with will eliminate it. The appropriate Tune Boy downloaded map will, I believe. If not, there is an aftermarket product, a digital, LED lit gear indicator with something called ATRE (advanced timing retardation elimination) that will do the trick for you. The product is called the GiPro with ATRE... www.healtech-electronics.com

Rest assured that someone much more competent than I will be along shortly to corroborate or debunk my guess!:spitcoffee:

OK guys - that is disappointing. I thought the latest Roadsters from 2013/14 onwards came stock from the factory without the torque limitations. It will be irritating for any recent purchasers who ask for TORs to be fitted, only to find that they now have torque limitations. Unless Triumph insist on putting an old 'limited' map in older Roadsters when they fit TORS, but that would just seem to be mean. Mike 188 - I will check that map number you have got and see if it has limitations.
Thanks
Mike

Mike188 - it does appear that the tune 20355 has the limiters in place. I cannot see the logic in them doing this unless there is something in the derestricted tune (20688) that prevents it from functioning properly with the slightly earlier (2012) ECU's
Mike

Unless you go with Tune By or can find a nearby mate that has the software and then you can get by with the Tune ECU cable, the good news is that the GiPro w/ATRE will only set you back an estimated 100-110 GBP and it will prevent you from searching for that 6th gear most of us wish the Beast had!

The problem is in the UK that fitting a Gipro will invalidate my insurance whereas the Triumph dealer fitting Triumph accessories and a Triumph tune will not. Also my real reason for wanting the derestricted tune installing is to see if it will cure the 4000rpm vibration that I have suffered from since day 1. And a Gipro won't change the fuelling so there's no chance it would affect the vibes.
Mike

The GiPro can operate in a gear position indicator only mode with a push of a button, totally deactivating ATRE. Nonetheless, I'm not trying to sell you on the thing.

Have you offered up this more aggravating vibration issue for analysis here? I would think that it might be a relatively simple thing to isolate its source. Is your bike out of warranty? Did you buy it new from a dealer and was the dealer not made aware of the vibration issue from the get-go?

Hi Phil - yes the issue has been discussed at length under a thread called something like 4000rpm vibration. Two dealers say they have had a go at fixing it, but I'm not sure I entirely trust that they have done what they said (retightened engine bolts and throttle body balance in particular). they have changed the clutch after Triumph suggested it might be that but that didn't work. I have Tune ECU and may try putting in map 20685 with the stock mufflers, but I was hoping for a triumph authorised mod that would not invalidate my insurance.
Mike

Back