Does Rocket III have can-bus?

ZoneIII

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket III Touring
More specifically, does a 2015 R3T have Can-Bus? I don't know a lot about Can-Bus but I need to know this because of something I'm going to purchase.

The Roadster and Touring models DO have CANBUS - but important to recognize that the CANBUS control is limited to only the instruments data
I.e. it's not full blown CANBUS like you would find on a Modern BMW for example

*Edited from original - from memory I had posted CANBUS also communicated with the ABS but not on the Rocket models, although is on some other Triumphs

Last edited:
The Roadster and Touring models DO have CANBUS - but important to recognize that the CANBUS control is limited to only the instruments data
I.e. it's not full blown CANBUS like you would find on a Modern BMW for example

*Edited from original - from memory I had posted CANBUS also communicated with the ABS but not on the Rocket models, although is on some other Triumphs

Thanks, guys. That may explain the conflicting things I remember seeing on this subject. That is, some things say Rockets don't have CAN-BUS while there are other references saying that they do.

What is canbus and how is it used on the Rocket ?
You'll probably get a much better answer here than I can give and I'll want to read it too because CAN-BUS is new to me too although both of my vehicles (besides my Rocket) probably have it. I know my F150 has it. Anyway, from what I understand (and I'll probably be corrected), it's a wiring system that connects various sensors and ECUs so they communicate and this greatly reduces the number of wires in the system.

Wikipedia will have a detailed explanation. A Google search should come up with plane English explanations. In fact, I'm going to look it up myself to better understand it.

Data-buses in general grew out of the aviation community. As functionality grew on aircraft, the amount of wiring increased, leading to more weight (always an issue with aircraft) and higher maintenance costs.

In traditional wiring (which the Rockets use almost exclusively), one device has individual wires for power and control.

Increase the number of devices that need power and information, and geometrically increase wires.

With a data bus, there can be one data line to multiple devices. Each device on the network has a processor to handle network communication, and is programmed with a unique address.

All data flowing on the network is addressed, so all devices see all data, but only data addressed to a specific device is processed by that device.

A CAN-BUS is a specification of a vehicle data bus standard, and manufacturers decide what they want to implement, and have a choice of suppliers offering items that meet the standard.

Think of it as any network protocol....ethernet is one, canbus is another. We could use ethernet in our cars but the cabling would be a mess! With canbus the data can go over very small wires. We can use garden variety code scanners on our Rockets and read codes, and various sensor outputs, and that tells you there is SOME canbus on our bikes. But the fact that we need special software such as tunecu, the ECU's own internal language is different. Canbus is just the communication protocol. Any vehicle could be set up that way. Usually you don't need to query the ECU directly, but when you do, you use specialized software. Such as TuneECU.

my definition simple would be two or more modules communicating with each other. the ones i have seen r two wire communication.
for example a dodge with a 604 trans has an ecm (engine control module) and a tcm (transmission control module) that communicate with each other. if the tcm detects a problem it will set a trans code and then it will communicate with the ecm and the ecm will set a p0700 witch means there is codes in the tcm.
often customers come in with the code p0700 so i tell them i need to also scan the transmission control module.

edit
it is very common for them to share info so as not to have to run more wires.

Back