Does anyone know of good battery that comes with electrolyte separate?

ZoneIII

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket III Touring
Does anyone know of a good battery for a R3T that comes unfilled with the electrolyte packed separately? I've had to return two Scorpion batteries that came pre-filled. Voltage tested fine with both of them but their CCA was MUCH lower than they were rated and they could barely crank my Rocket over (but couldn't start it) when the temperature got to 40F. I'm convinced that batteries that come pre-filled with electrolyte may have sat on the shelf for who knows how long and may be sulfated so I'm looking for a battery that comes with the electrolyte separately. My 5 year-old Yuasa 270 CCA battery that came on the bike new is still strong but I want to replace it as preventative maintenance. I've seen the electrolyte packs that come with unfilled batteries but I just haven't been able to find a non pre-filled battery yet.

It seems like many people think that just because a battery has good voltage that the battery is good. That's not the case. Get one of the new digital battery testers that tell the whole story in a few seconds. I used to do voltage and load tests and think the battery was good if they passed. I know better now.

Thanks! I thought Yuasa's came filled because I just checked them on Amazon and one of the questions was whether they come filled or unfilled and all the responses were that they came filled.

Because I was getting different answers about whether Yuasa batteries came pre-filled (activated) or empty, I contacted Yuasa. I got a response back so fast that they almost answered my question before I asked it! :) (That's a good sign in my book.) Here's their response:

"Hi Tom,

We do have some that come dry with an acid pack that you would have to activate they have BS on the end of the part number.. ex: YTX20HL-BS. Then there is the YTX20HL and the GYZ20HL they are factory activated. I recommend not to purchase through Amazon especially for a factory sealed battery because they are usually not maintained plus our warranty is held through the dealer. We do have online retailers... Bike Bandit, Summit Racing, Revzilla, Cycle Gear, Dennis Kirk, Chaparel are to name a couple. As long as your battery sits upright you can use the BS model but if it tilts or lays flat use only a factory activated.

The BS model, you would fill the battery, let sit 1 hour, and then charge to 100% before use and using nothing more than 3 amps. On all the batteries we recommend when not in use a battery maintainer or to charge it every 3 months.

Any other questions, please ask,

Thank you for your inquiry,

Dawn"

Does anyone know of a good battery for a R3T that comes unfilled with the electrolyte packed separately? I've had to return two Scorpion batteries that came pre-filled. Voltage tested fine with both of them but their CCA was MUCH lower than they were rated and they could barely crank my Rocket over (but couldn't start it) when the temperature got to 40F. I'm convinced that batteries that come pre-filled with electrolyte may have sat on the shelf for who knows how long and may be sulfated so I'm looking for a battery that comes with the electrolyte separately. My 5 year-old Yuasa 270 CCA battery that came on the bike new is still strong but I want to replace it as preventative maintenance. I've seen the electrolyte packs that come with unfilled batteries but I just haven't been able to find a non pre-filled battery yet.

It seems like many people think that just because a battery has good voltage that the battery is good. That's not the case. Get one of the new digital battery testers that tell the whole story in a few seconds. I used to do voltage and load tests and think the battery was good if they passed. I know better now.
Did you get them at BatteryStuff.com? I have a Scorpion I got from them its been great. Are you sure you got the right battery because they have two scorpion batteries that fit one has more CCA than the other. Mine has 330. Then there is that starter motor.

Last edited:
Back