Does anyone here use a ride app on their smart phone?

What is an app?;):D

My phone, tablet and laptop/tablet came with some loaded but never used them. I spend so much time reading forums and newspapers etc I can never be f---ed learning how to use them. Bit like setting up a video recorder to record when not there, I just loaded them and hit play, pause, f/f, and rewind.and occasionally record and walked away to do or watch something else.

Am I a Luddite or just lazy? :(

Aahh! The eternal Baby Boomer / Gen X / Gen Y generational divide.
Strange how all the post Baby Boomers claim we Baby Boomers have all the capital but not the 'smarts' :D

Dumb money rules :whitstling::whitstling:

I used to plan, operate and manage field staff to cover and enumerate 1,000,000 sq km in light aircraft and 4x4 over 6 months every five years while doing up to 20,000 mile in a 4x4 myself. I used knowledge, field experience, maps and a map wheel to plan itinerarys and work programs for six staff employing hundreds of subordinates to conduct population census in remote and urban areas. All without an app or internet.

Last edited:
To the extent that I need to make plans, I do it in Google Maps. By the time I actually go, I will have memorized the route, and I may not even set my GPS up. Well, I do turn it on.

To the extent that I need to make plans, I do it in Google Maps. By the time I actually go, I will have memorized the route, and I may not even set my GPS up. Well, I do turn it on.

That's what I'm currently doing and I like how it works. I was looking at the ride tracking feature and the option to share that info across the board so to speak.

So has any tried any of these apps?

By the time I actually go, I will have memorized the route, and I may not even set my GPS up.
This pre-assumes that Google-Maps routing is always right. And from experience - no it ruddy well isn't. I just stop and ask the nearest Policeman, Taxi Driver, Lollipop Lady or roaming alcoholic. OK the latter is as reliable as Google - but way more fun.

Strange how all the post Baby Boomers claim we Baby Boomers have all the capital but not the 'smarts' :D
ime here (and Spain has one of the highest per capita Smart Phone ownerships) - the relationship of Smart Phones to owners seems to be directly and proportionally inverse. The Dumber the user the more likely the phone is to be High End. Mostly to "network and play games" - D'uh!.
I honestly do not own a cell phone. I have one for work as they were concerned about contact loss when I am in the UK.

But I have recently discovered what may be the perfect Dinosaur Biker Phone. Near Bulletproof - IP68 waterproof. Cheapish. Would easily run OpenStreetMaps SatNav. Called the Blackview BV6000. But my heart tells me it would be a serious mistake to succumb.

I tried rever for awhile. I see that a lot of people use it. I found it's operation to be very frustrating. I tend to build my routes based on twisties etc. I recently (tried) used it on a 1800 mile trip that began in Minn and ended in southern Idaho. I chose routes that included places like Spearfish, cody, beartooth highway, yellowstone etc. I built the route OK, but when weather forced us to chose another route because beartooth highway was closed, thats when things went "hinky". It became very frustrating trying to do that on the roadside. Ultimately, I used "Waze", which is still my favorite and it's free. Not designed specifically for motorcyclists, it is still the best I've found. It uses "crowd-sourcing". Other users of the app can notify the "crowd" of all manner of issues. Construction, road closures, police traps, road hazards, stalled vehicles, accidents, and it even allows the users to leave notes for others like "stay in the left lane" in traffic situations. All in real time, and all on your smartphone. The app provides voice instructions, and that includes the notifications I just mentioned. I use it extensively in my day-to-day, and it is my "go-to" app for motorcycle trips. Many, many more features than I have listed (nearest gas, restaurants, etc). The only thing it lacks (mind you, it's a free app) is map downloads. In other words, once you fall outside cell service you have to stay on the route as it is unable to download changes. The maps will still guide you because it loads the route, you just cant make changes in the middle of BFE and expect it to guide you.

Back