Does anybody know how to check and adjust the valves to a motorcycle?

mexican

Living Legend
Ride
2015 Rocket X
I want to learn but no one is willing to teach me, willing to pay somebody to teach me hands on and will provide one of my bikes,
I'm planning on buying a Ducati or Triumph Scramblers but the valve adjustments scare me.
will travel around Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas Missouri, Kansas,
Any takers?

One of the aspects I really liked of the Honda ST1300 group was folks would get together sometimes at someone's home or shop with tools, for a "Maintenance Saturday".

I would think there would be just enough Rockets in some places to do this.

In fact, it has happened impromptu at least once last year near Mayberry, NC and @Boog had a challenge with his stepper motor, and @Speedy and others were able to fix it in the parking lot.

Just think what folks could do if it were pre-planned.

One of the aspects I really liked of the Honda ST1300 group was folks would get together sometimes at someone's home or shop with tools, for a "Maintenance Saturday".

I would think there would be just enough Rockets in some places to do this.

In fact, it has happened impromptu at least once last year near Mayberry, NC and @Boog had a challenge with his stepper motor, and @Speedy and others were able to fix it in the parking lot.

Just think what folks could do if it were pre-planned.
That would be awsome!!

We have a few Maintenance Saturdays locally every year. One guy has a tire machine, every one brings food, drink and a bike or maybe no bike and just expertise. It works out fairly well.

bob

I want to learn but no one is willing to teach me, willing to pay somebody to teach me hands on and will provide one of my bikes,
I'm planning on buying a Ducati or Triumph Scramblers but the valve adjustments scare me.
will travel around Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas Missouri, Kansas,
Any takers?
I found a video on YouTube that shows how to adjust your valves. Check it out, type in Rocket III and it should come up. I hope this helps.

Lupe, if you can get your head around the basic's of what is going on, you can then do any adjustments easy enough.
If you can understand that on the compression stroke when the fuel and air has been compressed for combustion, both inlet and exhaust valves are fully closed, this is the position to have the Engine set so as to adjust both valves.

With the valve cover/cam cover off, rotate the Engine using the rear wheel (bike in top gear, spark plugs out and back wheel off the ground) you can observe the inlet valves open then closing.
After the inlet valves have closed, insert CAREFULLY a rod (preferably a brass rod) through the spark plug hole onto the top of the piston.
Now GENTLY rotate the Engine making sure that the rod rises and DOES NOT FOWL, until you have the piston at T.D.C. (Top Dead Center)
It is at this point that both Inlet and Exhaust valves are on the back of the Camshaft, meaning that they are fully closed and are in a suitable position to measure and adjust, if necessary, the valve clearance.
Repeat with each cylinder.

Piece of cake :D

Lupe, Ducatis are like Ferraris. They need a lot of tinkering to keep them up to snuff. Parts are on the expensive side. It takes a well trained skilled technician to do it right. Particularly the valves and belts.

Getting the measurement like Paul mentioned is pretty straight forward. Figuring out the shim size (if needed) is total different ball game.

Back