Do I need a valve adjustment?

slidderhd

Turbocharged
Ride
2008 R3T
I have 35000 miles on my R3T. Running Power Tripp tune for over a year. Since the first of the year, I have hesitation and sometimes spitting when right off idle. Example: Highway riding, no issues, but running 40 mph in 4th in a group and it wants to continually surge and hesitate. I reloaded the tune as well as disconnected my O2 Sensor. Thinking maybe the valves need adjusting due to the spitting going on once in a while.

Good chance it's the low tension coil wires. Raise the tank. Two of the coil sets are bolted to the right hand frame rail. Keeping track of where they go, remove the small wires from each coil. Using needle nosed pliers pinch the ends for a tighter fit (see my crappy illustration). Some people also apply dielectric grease before pushing them back on. The third coil is in front right behind the steering neck. A little more trouble to get at. As for your valves they should be checked/set at the recommended factory intervals. You can't go by "noise" as some times the valve face wears quicker than the cam/follower so the valve becomes to tight and will begin to leak. They would have to be extremely out of adjustment before they would cause running issues.

crimp.png

Good chance it's the low tension coil wires. Raise the tank. Two of the coil sets are bolted to the right hand frame rail. Keeping track of where they go, remove the small wires from each coil. Using needle nosed pliers pinch the ends for a tighter fit (see my crappy illustration). Some people also apply dielectric grease before pushing them back on. The third coil is in front right behind the steering neck. A little more trouble to get at. As for your valves they should be checked/set at the recommended factory intervals. You can't go by "noise" as some times the valve face wears quicker than the cam/follower so the valve becomes to tight and will begin to leak. They would have to be extremely out of adjustment before they would cause running issues.

crimp.png

Fred, that's the best drawing I've seen on this site since Dave (@scot in exile ) drew that diagramatic proof that red bikes are faster. Well done! :roll:

crimp.png

I don't know how you did it. How did anyone figure this out. It actually worked. I had to push it on with a flat screw driver because it kept popping out of the plastic connector. But, hot dog, it worked. I love this forum.

I don't know how you did it. How did anyone figure this out. It actually worked. I had to push it on with a flat screw driver because it kept popping out of the plastic connector. But, hot dog, it worked. I love this forum.

I believe it was @warp9.9 (Scott) who figured it out. His DNA was modified in the womb by a super race of Rocket riders from a galaxy far, far away........

Back