Do I have standard or TORs

Baloo

.060 Over
Ride
Rocket X
Hi guys,

I'm looking to call on your wisdom.

For those that don't know, I recently acquired my Rocket X. I don't particularly mind the sound and a few have commented that out sounds nice. I planned on upgrading the exhaust and filter. Ram air kit is on the way, but I don't know if the exhaust is standard or TORs. I'm only looking to improve performance rather than change the sound. Is there a way an inexperienced eye can look and tell what I've got? I've read that the TORs are 3" shorter, when I don't know how long standard is.

Any help appreciated.

I'm also struggling to choose between Dyno map, PCV or TuneBoy. I have no other plans for performance modifications besides filter and exhaust so don't mind taking the plunge on dyno if there's a marked improvement. But is it a waste of money if there's not much difference.

My brother has quite a special Subaru and has challenged me to a head to head at York drag strip next year when the weather permits bringing the toys back out.

The holes at the end of the pipe existing the TORS mufflers are around 2 inches while as the non TORS is around 1.5 inches.

Take a picture of the end of the mufflers and I/we can tell you exactly what you have.

There is a thing called Tunecu as well .... check it out.

Overview

This is what most folks on here use including myself.... its free!

The TORS as per their name are clearly marked 'Not for Roads Use' or Triumph Off Road System they will also have a single part number on both as they arte sold as a kit only the Stock OEM ones usually have separate parts numbers on each.

The Black TORs are part number #A9608144: Silencer, Twin, Black, Kit

I'm also struggling to choose between Dyno map, PCV or TuneBoy. I have no other plans for performance modifications besides filter and exhaust so don't mind taking the plunge on dyno if there's a marked improvement. But is it a waste of money if there's not much difference.

If that is all you are doing just get the tune ecu cable cost about a tenner and will do everything you need for what you are doing. Tuneboy is a great program but as you are staying basically standard why waste your money.

FRANKLY for TORS and an open filter - The stock TRIUMPH FACTORY TORS tune will probably be enough. If you have TORS and they were dealer fitted - the Tune is in.

TuneECU is enough to simply upload tunes (be they TRIUMPH or @HansO )

A proper DYNO tune is NEVER a bad idea as long as the tuner knows how without insisting on a PCV.

Once you get into PC5 or Dobeck you really need the AFR self adjusting versions OR a DYNO.

IF YOU WANT PERFORMANCE - The stock exhaust headers are a major restriction.

There are lots of options, and comparing them will open up a whole can of worms.
If you are not doing headwork and cams then pipes that work best above 6500rpms are NOT the ones you want.

But you will then 100% need DYNO/PC5 etc and TuneECU.
The RamAir is a good move imo/ime. Though for BALLS OUT performance I am sure they can be bettered.
They were designed to flow well and sit under a stock cover. How much do you want to alter the intake aesthetics.?

If you do not intend to do any more mod's besides Tor's and RamAir filter I wouldn't get any of them. As barbagris stated the proper TuneECU map will work fine. The Power Commander 5 would be pretty much useless without the Auto Tune feature so your looking at $500 dollars for fine tuning that you'll never notice.

Years ago I dyno tested my bike before any mods. 119 HP and 136 TQ stock. I kept the stock intake and header on my bike. Then went with the Dobeck AFR Plus then added TORs then added a Tune ECU tune. The Dyno test I did afterwards showed 140 HP and 155 TQ. That is good but it could be better with further mods.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Interesting reading.

Although the custom bearclaw with large triple filters would give more airflow I decided against it based on not wanting to take a drill to my bike to mount the claw, and I would rather use the original filter housing under the seat for my ecig and phone rather than the coolant bottle.

I'm convinced my exhausts are standard so have now ordered the deep tone pipes from Dave Platt in black, with the cross pipe. He's not a million miles away so I'll be collecting them quite soon hopefully. Guess what I'm doing next weekend

I'm also convinced that TuneECU is the way forward for me. I've got a lot of learning to do, and a cable to order.

Cheers folks

Back