DIY windshield

BigNorm

Boobie Inspector
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Touring
I have been looking at getting a new windshield. I really liked the look of the clearview shield but I didn't want to shuck out $250. My solution was to buy a 25x28" piece of 1/4" plexiglass and go for it.
20160819_144344.jpg

The first step was to take all the hardware off the stock windshield. I then cut out a piece of cardboard 25x28 and sketched out a template using the old shield to mark the holes. I cut the edges using my first cut to mark the other 3 and then cut out all the edges. Then I taped my template onto the plexiglass.
20160819_122914.jpg

I then traced my template onto the plexiglass. I took a 3/8 drill and drilled strait through my template all the holes I had marked.
20160819_144344.jpg
20160819_122914.jpg
20160819_141240.jpg
I then cut the plexiglass with a jigsaw with a metal blade on the slowest setting. I then sanded the edges using a hand sander. This is where stuff got difficult. I had read where guys on smaller bikes with smaller windshields would just throw there shield in the oven at 100 degrees for 10 minutes and then set the shield on a mold. My shield is to big to throw in the oven. So I go outside and fire up my gas barbeque I held the shield over the heat and little by little I was able to bend the 1/4" plexiglass. It was a royal Pita and took me hours until I could attach the hardware. It is done now and from the bracket above the headlight to the top measures 20 inches. I still have head buffeting even though I drilled 3 half Inch holes above the stock bracket. I'm thinking of getting a madstad bracket and putting another shield over the one I just made but that is for another day.
20160819_192625.jpg

While I was working on the windshield I had been riding without. It's been nice and I don't note the buffetting that I get with the shield. Wierd huh? I'm just getting ready for colder weather.

Don't you love retirement and time to fiddle for-ever!

You thought US$250 was dear I was quoted over US$500 on top of any Clearview just for freight to Australia!!

These worked great on my 20" Roadster screen and has adjustability High/Low wide/extra wide mounting height/widths as well as different rubber pads for thick and thin screen plexi. Roadster 5/16" thick, I think yours is the thinner 1/4".

MEM5805 Memphis Shades Hot Wings For Memphis Fats Windshield 1 $79.95 $79.95
Memphis Shades Hot Wings For Memphis Fats Windshield

MEM5806 Memphis Shades Side Hot Wings For Memphis Shades Fats Windshields 1 $99.95 $99.95
Memphis Shades Side Hot Wings For Memphis Shades Fats Windshields

Last edited:
Great job BigNorm. I know how cold those northern Nevada winters can be. I mainly rode a dirt bike when stationed at NAS Fallon, but was not smart enough to leave it home on January weekends up in the hills. I love riding the trails full of snow back then on my CR500. There were times I wished I had some sort of wind screen but as often as I crashed it, the screen would have never made it through a single ride.
I did ride 50 from Tahoe to Utah on a Magna with no screen. A buddy of mine wanted to do this for some challenge and needed a partner. No one else would go till I heard about it. I was still you enough not to notice the wind at 80-90 MPH. The good old days...

@Ishrub that is what is next for my windshield. I'll have to see if it is more cost effective to build my own or buy those made already.

@Boog I want to meet up with you some day and buy you drinks and listen to your life's adventures. It sounds like you have had one or two.

@Ishrub that is what is next for my windshield. I'll have to see if it is more cost effective to build my own or buy those made already.

@Boog I want to meet up with you some day and buy you drinks and listen to your life's adventures. It sounds like you have had one or two.
That will take a lot beer. Being a rescue swimmer means I have big lungs and that means I can talk till I passout. :)

Back