DIY Ignition Switch Repair - Get home, Keep Your Locks!

BuffaloR3

.060 Over
First off - I am no expert, I assume no liability for this information, this is simply documenting what I did in hopes that it may help you.

I'll first post the hotwire I did almost two years ago. It got me home, but this does not turn on your headlights, turn signals, or brake lights. I'm sure another couple of wires will get those straight. I also don't know if this arrangement removes the fuse from the circuit, use caution. This wasn't safe or legal but I didn't have very far to go and this limped me home. Search the previous thread for actual wiring schematics to figure this out.

Attachments

• Hotwire.JPG
    Hotwire.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 5
If you have done your troubleshooting and know your ignition switch is at fault then follow these directions to get into the meat of it. I did a simple repair and it lasted me almost two years before I had to replace.

First you need to remove the top cap. There's 3 small points with black inside to unclip and get it to slide up.

Attachments

• Ignition_remove-cap.jpg
    Ignition_remove-cap.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 7
Now that the cap is removed you need to take out the contact board. There's again 3 points to unclip, but one has a particularly different setup, do this one first.

Attachments

• Ignition_remove_contact2.jpg
    Ignition_remove_contact2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 8
Here's a closeup of that clip. Use a small screw driver from the inside to lift the clip and push up teh joint. NOTE: There is white plastic inside and larger than the cap clip points.

Attachments

• Ignition_remove_contact-2b.jpg
    Ignition_remove_contact-2b.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 7
The first time I did this the plastic had simply melted enough to pinch the floating contact plate, I pushed it up into position and it worked for almost two years. It is now completely broken off and won't line up anymore. But when the new switch comes in I will simply replace these pieces and re-install on the bike - I can keep my original locks, no need to replace the gas tank or seat lock.

Attachments

• Ignition_remove_closeup_plates_5.jpg
    Ignition_remove_closeup_plates_5.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 6
Great photos! I was lucky with mine and the plastic plate was fine, just the soldering had come undone. Re soldered and reinserted. Not a tough job at all. Have since disconnected it entirely and gone with DeCosse's keyless. But it'll be there if it's ever needed.

Mine finally broke today. I have been turning the handlebars to the left for the last year. Had to roll start it. Will start tomorrow. I am to the switch, haven't removed it yet. This will be a great help.
Thanks, Ken

Back