Dirt rode Overhaul

sonny

Living Legend
Ride
rocket three x
Road to house is a dirt road. Pulled of the pavement and started to head home. Realized real quick somebody had come down the road with a blade. Road was not only wider but soft. Had a good time riding in soft dirt. Turn into drive way not so much fun. Wife had gone out and told the guy to push the extra dirt up onto the driveway. The driveway is a steep climb up to the gate. All that extra soft dirt was unexpected. Normally the county does not do driveways you have to ask the CREEKS to do that. Man i was all over the place. Hit that soft dirt and was all over the place. Almost hit the gate post. Wife was laughing while she watched from the front door. Made it but just by the skin of my teeth. Yes it was that close.

Growing up in rural areas of Texas we had the same thing happen often. But back then for me, I was on much smaller bikes or even dirt bikes so it wasn't such a big deal. Glad you faired well.

My wife and I were looking to move out to the country a little ways. When I would see a home with a gravel driveway, my first thought would be, "Do I really want to ride on that every day?" Fortunately, we found our new home and the driveway is all paved lol. I used to ride dirt bikes, race motocross, but the Rocket on gravel is a different animal for me. Maybe it's just my age....

While reading Sonnny's opening, all I could think was how hard it is to keep my front wheel under my Rocket when it gets sliding. On ashphalt or concrete my bike handles great. Let the front-end slip or slide and all bets are off. Good riding Sonny..

.7 of a mile for me and i know just never know what the road is going to be like. i tell my buddies if it rains good at my house i will not be there.
you can mix some 3/4 rock in that dirt otherwise when it rains its going to get rough.

3/4 mile driveway on material called “post oak”. Everything from dust to 1-1/2” broken rock. It’s packed pretty good. Only use front brake in straight line, don’t try any Ride- like- a-pro u- turn.

On the other hand, I park the bikes in the rear of the shop. If the yard is wet, the heavy bikes are a handful when they make a small ruts.

Back