Difficult mounting Stebel horn on R3T

rockhog

.020 Over
Couldn't make a good bracket so held it in place behind the LHS cover and close to rubber wrapped frame member and filled doubled plastic bag with Fireproof Builder's foam behind and under it to build a nest to hold it, nice and sweet. Eventually tied it down with cable ties. Seems to work.
Out of sight, solid and LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Rockdog,
did you leave it together or seperate the components?
In other words is it just your compressor behind the side cover,
or the whole unit?
Yea they're loud, and thats a good thing.

thinking of buying one ...... do they separate, I have only seen pictures of them do they still work properly when you separate them?

There are a couple of installation threads on the other site for separating the unit. It's a good idea but I chose to keep it simple.

The easiest way to mount it under the left side cover is to drill a hole in the airbox and run a short bolt through it. The horn has a notch for a bolt head on the back.

Simple. Quick. Sturdy. and LOUD!!

The easiest way to mount it under the left side cover is to drill a hole in the airbox and run a short bolt through it. The horn has a notch for a bolt head on the back.

Simple. Quick. Sturdy. and LOUD!!

That's exactly how I did it. One year and 12,000 miles later, its still there. Wish I could say the same for my right side cover. It decided to it was time for a new home sometime last Saturday. :mad:

when wiring this or any other horn, how hard is it to move the wiring to the new horn position, or do you just route the new wires back to where the horn is at.
that is if you are leaving the horn under one of the side covers.

If you did not buy the relay kit with your horn, you should reconsider. It makes things a lot easier and it better for the system anyway. The Stebel requires a lot of juice and the stock wiring may not handle it if you do not use a relay.

I zip-tied the relay under the left side cover as well. The switched lead was run up under the tank and tapped into the horn wire. The fused power and ground leads run directly to the battery.

haven't bought either yet. but I am getting tired of having a nice big bike that has the horn of a vespa. been looking at the stebel for a bit.

Well head out to Leakey Tx this weekend and you'll be able to see several installations. Should be a few of us out there. Look for the Hill Country Salvo thread.

Back