Differential drain bolt

Frosty Rider

Turbocharged
Ride
2010 R III T, 2020 R 3GT, 2001 HD CVO WideGlide
Has anyone been into the differential, if so how did you get it open? whoever changed the diff oil last fractured the drain bolt so when i went to remove it, it snapped, i have tried multiple drill bits in it so i could try using an easy out to get it, but i can't drill into it, various types of drill bits barely scratch it. from what i have seen you can't just buy a new casing you have to buy the whole thing, and at $2500 CAD that isn't happening, i'll part out the bike and go get another one, hopefully one that someone hasn't screwed up, and the manual has been useless trying to figure out how to pull the bevel box apart, or i have been looking in the wrong places, which is possible as well.

Hold your horses my hot friend you are trying to drill into a magnet and as you are finding out it is hard to do:D the bolt is not in very tight get a flat screwdriver that will go in tight then just screw it out.
Order a replacement or go to your local hardware store and get a bolt to screw in sorry cannot remember the size

i have been trying to fish it with a screw driver, i'm pretty sure when they put the bolt in, they screwed the threads, so i can only get it up so far, i was going to try and pull the guts out, but it appears to be a sealed unit, i can't find a split in the casing, but they had to get the ring gear in there somehow, building Terex Titans for the oil fields was easier than dealing with some of the stuff on this bike, though i would still rather be wrenching this then my harley, that thing makes even the simplest jobs a PITA

It is a sealed unit and you can't get into it. Well, you may be able to but putting it back together is another story altogether.

If the bolt is broken, but is still sealing the unit, and you can't get it out, then you may want to leave it there. You will now change the oil by removing the bevel box, tipping it over, and draining the oil out of the plug which is used for filling it. This will also give you an opportunity to apply some Molybdenum grease to the splines. If you do remove it, make sure that you put it back on and tighten the nuts in EXACTLY the manner shown in the manual or you will create other problems. Manual is in my signature if you don't have one.

like the others said.
might try the plastic end of the screw driver to snag the broken bolt.
keep in mind that the bolt is drilled then a magnet is inserted so it is possible to push that magnet into the bevel box then u will be in trouble
i guess my first try would be a left hand drill (but u might have to push the magnet in just enough to get the drill to bite. that bolt should be easy to come out.
metric bolt m10x1.5 long 3/4 to 1 inch.

if all else fails
rod**** extractors | eBay
edit
i would go with the largest that would just enter the hole so as not to push the magnet out

Our new member from Belgium just posted a marvelous thread how-to to disassemble the bevel box - not for the faint of heart - and helps to have a machine shop available.

Much experience here with a weaker point of design on the Rocket. Good advice here, and more if you search the site.

Good luck.

Has anyone been into the differential, if so how did you get it open? whoever changed the diff oil last fractured the drain bolt so when i went to remove it, it snapped, i have tried multiple drill bits in it so i could try using an easy out to get it, but i can't drill into it, various types of drill bits barely scratch it. from what i have seen you can't just buy a new casing you have to buy the whole thing, and at $2500 CAD that isn't happening, i'll part out the bike and go get another one, hopefully one that someone hasn't screwed up, and the manual has been useless trying to figure out how to pull the bevel box apart, or i have been looking in the wrong places, which is possible as well.
There’s probably nothing in there like scot in exile said screw driver or something to get out easily, claviger posted a green Suzuki plug sometime back that is readily available, I can take a snap shot if needed I ordered one to have and like scot in exile said gonna have to put that drill down

I have removed two in the past that broke off -one on my bike and one on my pals Rocket, a flat tipped screwdriver big enough to bite into the inside of the bolt whem you tap it in gently with a hammer then screw the busted bolt out ---trust me it works but as said do not go crazy and knock the magnet all the way through

I have removed two in the past that broke off -one on my bike and one on my pals Rocket, a flat tipped screwdriver big enough to bite into the inside of the bolt whem you tap it in gently with a hammer then screw the busted bolt out ---trust me it works but as said do not go crazy and knock the magnet all the way through

Dave; what is the key secret to avoid this apparently common problem for those of us who change the final drive oil frequently?

Rick the problem is not usually taking the bolt out it is when you tighten it, the torque setting is extremlylow(cannot remember what) and trust me you have to use a torque wrench.
No reason to change the final drive oil frequently no reason at all in fact 10000 miles is about right.

Back