Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
So I was browsing pictures and came across this pic:
Triumph Rocket III 04.jpg

now closely compare the radiator and shrouds to this one:
rocketIII.jpg

You can see the shroud and whole radiator itself has grown since the original design. Bars and shift lever are a lot different as well.

Just an oddity I'd never seen mentioned anywhere.

Headlights, seat, mirrors, handlebar, color of engine, the top is using one of those anti gravity kick stands too. Advertising photos perhaps.

Everything looks the same to me. Handlebars are raised on the first pic, mirrors missing on the second. All early bikes had silver engines. The radiator is definitely too small and not stock so perhaps it is an early publicity shot.

Some early pics of Rockets had smaller radiators. I know the prototypes had some things that were changed before the bike went into production. Those early pics could either have been of prototypes or an attempt to make the radiator appear not so scarily large. Looks odd to me with a smaller radiator anyway. As for the bars, I'd say they're just rotated a little.

I've one of the first two hundred R3's made. The filler neck cracked, the radiator repair/welder man said it was made of the worst/poorest material he'd ever seen.

I've one of the first two hundred R3's made. The filler neck cracked, the radiator repair/welder man said it was made of the worst/poorest material he'd ever seen.

i'd be very interested to see a few pics of your bike, assuming you kept it relatively stock?

My bike was approximately number 12 off the line and looks like every other standard R3 except for being the faster, sexier red colour. The only change early on was to the sump plate oilways.

Last edited:
Back