Differences IGNITION SWITCH & LOCK SET - 343680 Vs 3436801

goncallf

.060 Over
Ride
Triumph Rocket X, Vmax 1700
I would like to know if there are differences between these two set. Both mention that works on Classic and Roadster.

I think the wiring changed at some point.

However, if you have a faulty ignition switch then it can be repaired. You will need to remove two tamper-proof scews, then replace them with regular metric bolts. Not a particularly hard job.

I think the wiring changed at some point.

However, if you have a faulty ignition switch then it can be repaired. You will need to remove two tamper-proof scews, then replace them with regular metric bolts. Not a particularly hard job.

Thanks for your reply.

I have a problem on my ignition that need to be replaced, but i don't want to have 2 keys, so i'm thinking to buy a brand new kit. I have found one at great price but doesn´t mention which one is.

Those are not the part numbers for the key-set - those are the applicable ranges for the two different types

The first set is for classic models up to VIN 343680 - that uses a different type of connector
The second type is for models from 343681 and includes the last of the classics and all roadsters

You need the second one

Key_Switch_Connector types.jpg

Keys?
Who needs Keys :D
(hint - see signature)

If you do end up buying replacement ignition, you can easily adapt to your original key:
the key-switch is in two main parts - the electrical switch and the key-lock;
they are joined together by two tamper-proof screws (not to be confused with - although similar to - the tamper-proof screws securing the switch to the triple clamp)
You can separate the two parts and mix & match using your old key-lock on the new switch - negating the requirement for separate keys for ignition vs tank.

Those are not the part numbers for the key-set - those are the applicable ranges for the two different types

The first set is for classic models up to VIN 343680 - that uses a different type of connector
The second type is for models from 343681 and includes the last of the classics and all roadsters

You need the second one

Key_Switch_Connector types.jpg

Keys?
Who needs Keys :D
(hint - see signature)

If you do end up buying replacement ignition, you can easily adapt to your original key:
the key-switch is in two main parts - the electrical switch and the key-lock;
they are joined together by two tamper-proof screws (not to be confused with - although similar to - the tamper-proof screws securing the switch to the triple clamp)
You can separate the two parts and mix & match using your old key-lock on the new switch - negating the requirement for separate keys for ignition vs tank.

Thanks DEcosse, for your great explanation.
About keyless. If i can lock the steering without the key.......

No, you need the key to lock the steering
Many leave the OEM switch in place for that purpose - electrically it is disconnected (and therefor does not need to be functional in that regard), but mechanically still provides the locking function
Only time I lock my bike is when on overnight trips - then I use a disc lock for additional security.

Keyless is a great way to go. @DEcosse makes the best system, my signature has a cheap system which also works, but is not as good.

Back