Dice Run .....

Tal

Living Legend
Ride
2021 Triumph Rocket 3 GT
So here in NZ we have a Triumph Riders Motorcycle Club and we have chapters all of NZ. I'm Road Boss for the Canterbury Chapter.
Recently a new Chapter was formed in Timaru which is located maybe 2 hours south of us here in Christchurch.
The Timaru Chapter decided to have a winter dice run ending up in Moeraki which is down the coast and is a small village right on the beach...beautiful!...of course it aroused alot of interest but was going to be cold!...It started on friday the 24th with a number of riders coming from all directions and travelling down to Washdyke to prepare for the run which started Saturday morning. I think about 40 bikes were partaking....i travelled down on friday evening in the cool night air to stay with the President of the Timaru Chapter and his good Lady....We all set off about 10.00am and visited 5 pubs where we rolled the dice and had a glass of water...(ahem) and travelled on to the next pub...We arrived in Moeraki about 5.00pm...booked our meals and went to our accomadation...showered and got the good kit on and came back to the Tavern for a great night. So long story short. we all had a ball!...lots of laughter and bloody funny stories...a fair amount of liquid refreshments was put away and we all got home safely on sunday afternoon...i covered 830 kms...no rain during the riding time...no ice thankfully!...It will be an annual event no question!
20220626_082400.jpg
20220625_105524.jpg
20220625_115610.jpg
20220625_154136.jpg
290338154_10158940615786538_1675995627443505911_n.jpg

Can you explain the dice rolls?
sure...5 dice each with markings like playing cards....each throw has point values...low straights...high straights...flush...pairs etc...we each put in 30 bucks and there are prizes for 1st 2nd and 3rd highest point values overall...The winner gets a nice fistfull of cash as do the 2nd and 3rd guys....me?...i got nuthin!...threw 3 kings 1st.a low straight 2nd throw, 3 jacks third throw, two pairs 4th throw and a pair last throw....but wasnt good enuff...good fun tho!.
index.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to add this...on our recent Dice run we visited the Forks Hotel which is south of Waimate Gorge. There is a story of a local Larrakin who used to drink at the hotel in the days before World War 2. He was a local farmer. He was in the hotel one day and had ordered a bottle of beer when he got the call up news to go to war...he told the publican to hang on to the bottle...it was unopened....until he returned..."I wont be long!" he said.
Of course as luck would have it, he was killed in that war. The publican kept the bottle unopened and today it still remains...in a glass case in the hotel. Every new owner of the hotel has to pledge to an oath that they will protect that bottle before anything else should the pub be destroyed!
There has been a monument made of 'Ted' sitting on the bench seat holding his bottle ready with his kit bag to go to war.
20220625_115519.jpg
index.jpg
waihao-forks-memorial-4.jpg

Last edited:
Back