Detonation can be unhealthy high booster's be careful!

warp9.9

Pocałuj mnie w dupę
Ride
07 Rocket

Head gasket definitely blown coolant in oil!

Wet combustion area #3 in the head

Looks like I need a cylinder upgrade as the cylinder is scored left side of engine #3 cylinder

along with the burnt piston that you can see the ring in this photo

On the plus side Lock up clutch and all the wimpy Triumph Clutch parts are looking good !!!

We shall see, according to the manual they come out with an expensive Triumph tool as they are gold plated so they won't burn up at warp speed!!!!
Seriously I have never torn mine down this far before so I am on new turf look's like they come out before the pistons according to the book I will get the **** on order Tuesday. By then my spare motor should arrive. I bought her just incase I could not revive this one!

Really sorry to see that! IMO, that's detonation from PRESSURE... either too lean AF or too advanced timing, or both! Once a piston has been "burnt" you can't stop the deterioration. It may run for a while (like many hundreds of miles) but can't be fixed by correcting AF & timing.

Bad news

Head gasket definitely blown coolant in oil!

Wet combustion area #3 in the head

Looks like I need a cylinder upgrade as the cylinder is scored left side of engine #3 cylinder

along with the burnt piston that you can see the ring in this photo

On the plus side Lock up clutch and all the wimpy Triumph Clutch parts are looking good !!!
YEP lots of things going on in there SCOTT Time for a total teardown

That´s my engine......:-(

When I saw those pictures of the "exploded" engine, I was 100%
sure, that it was pictures of my engine.....:-(
Same color clutch, engine and same Supercharger, but with one big difference, ....mine has not been started yet, and now I get that cramped up feeling, in my stomach.
The riding season (has) started, and that little incident could ground me for months, and no sommer holliday on Motorcycle this year.
Is there anything that I can check, upgrade etc. etc
so I can eliminate the risc of ending there?
I could take the whole Supercharger setup off, and sell it to someone else, with more guts than me, and with more wrenching time.:confused:

jan, honestly i believe you are in over your head. i dont say this to be mean but i really think you should put some drop in cams from nev, get your bike properly dyno tuned and go riding. bluemarlin is getting in the 180's hp with nevs cams and my pipes. seriously do you need more power than that. this stuff is fine for walt , warp etc. they have much more mechanical back ground then you.. and walts just insane so that helps too :D.. jkng with ya walt

walts just insane so that helps too :D.. jkng with ya walt

Actually a bit close to the truth, Sam... but I've always run a digital AF display and data logger (so not too crazy). I've always recommended that all forced air R3s install one for this very reason. Seeing your AF while you're riding goes a long way in preventing detonation from lean out.

When I saw those pictures of the "exploded" engine, I was 100%
sure, that it was pictures of my engine.....:-(
Same color clutch, engine and same Supercharger, but with one big difference, ....mine has not been started yet, and now I get that cramped up feeling, in my stomach.
The riding season (has) started, and that little incident could ground me for months, and no sommer holliday on Motorcycle this year.
Is there anything that I can check, upgrade etc. etc
so I can eliminate the risc of ending there?
I could take the whole Supercharger setup off, and sell it to someone else, with more guts than me, and with more wrenching time.:confused:

Jan

If I remember correctly, the only thing you have added that will significantly change the TTS base tune is Sam's Predators pipes. Do you have a EXPERIENCED dyno tuner that can tune a SC bike close by? Don't the Preds have an O2 bung? Install a good digital AF monitor, and ask Richard at TTS to send you Paul Davie's tune for his SC R3 with Predators. That will get you close enough to prevent damage until you get to a dyno tuner, and the digital AF indicator will warn you to back off if you start getting lean enough to cause detonation. Then the other thing I would be concerned about is trying to pull your trailer with your SC R3, if it significantly changes load.

I'll say it one more time: If you run a turbo or blower, a digital AF indicator with data logging is cheap insurance!

again, good advise walt... the thing here is that you, warp, bremo etc are tinkerers.. me to some degree but in a different vein. i believe we get as much enjoyment in doing mods as riding. i just dont see jan as this type and believe the knowledge base to set up the sc and clutch etc. is more than most have. me, ill do something a 100x's to get it right or go over something 20x's to make sure i understand it and havent missed something. that's part of the challenge. i just dont see jan in this light. again i dont mean to discourage or diswade or disparage jan .. just my view

Last edited:
Ok Sam I want the long one and does yours come with a O2 bung in it. I of course will be wanting to instal a DFA like Walt pointed out. If it does not come with one I would like one added if possible I will get Walts opinion as to the best location or he can speak up since I know he is reading this and realizing I am saying he was right in the first place. I want to take some worry of people like Jan as I ride a different terrain as Walt in Illinois twisties are a little rare and the ones I mess with are at speeds over 100 mph to learn control as you can not get this on play station. I usually bust 120+ mph every time I take her out and thats the 1/4 mile length of my prperty. On these roads you have to learn to compensate (sp?) for getting air under both wheels, and landing right helps a lot also. It is a different feeling leaving the road for a brief time and landing without loosing speed or balance. Oh and I do not do this in group riding as it is hard enough to concentrate by myself. Other then that I do run at high speeds often and love twistie although as I stated they are not here so they are not my strong suite. This type of speed which is using a more sustained high level boost and I speculate there is a slight difference on engine stress.
Hell its only a motor I did not break my spirit:D
Its all good:D

Back