detent or not detent that is question

bigprop

loud and alive
Ride
08 rocket 3 classic ktm 990
today the investigation of the dreaded jumping out of gear began.Feeling nervous as never attempting a task like this before and not knowing if i was going to have to remortgage the house if the result was bad.
Slowly but carefully i proceeded with the task at hand.With my laptop at my side feeding me with information from wise men from around the globe we got a conclusion DETENT SPRING :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
and i didn't brake anything yet!!! Still got to get clutch out yet fix spring and put it back together:confused:
but for now few beers order some parts have early start in morning and busy week at work so will continue next saturday as only day off. I know you guys like pics so.
phone 006.jpg
phone 008.jpg
phone 009.jpg

Weee congrats, at least it’s a cheap fix, if not a fun one :p.

Thanks claviger. Its thanks to people like you that people like me can do these repairs and own a rocket big up to all the gurus on this forum:thumbsup:ok better make that the last beer starting to get all emotional oh! what the hell one more won't hurt:laugh:and i can afford it now.seriously i have saved a lot of money learnt so much and enjoyed every minute of it

Last edited:
Hat off to you Sir - I hardly have the balls to try and change the oil filter! Must be a nice feeling knowing that the repair job is just a couple of quid for the spring. Should be ma all back together next weekend then...??

thank you sir hopefully back together next weekend but taking me time double checking everything paranoid with doing something wrong but yea feels great every step of the process i go through can't wait to finish and get her back on the road and get some more miles in before weather changes still got a starter problem to resolve as well but if i can get this sorted without issue then that should be a walk in the park then maybe take her for a test ride down your way and have a meet up:)

thank you sir hopefully back together next weekend but taking me time double checking everything paranoid with doing something wrong but yea feels great every step of the process i go through can't wait to finish and get her back on the road and get some more miles in before weather changes still got a starter problem to resolve as well but if i can get this sorted without issue then that should be a walk in the park then maybe take her for a test ride down your way and have a meet up:)
Meet up? That'll be a pleasure! I hope it all goes according to plan

Every time I hear detent spring or see one like this I think.

Here is some Triumph Engineer in the final assembly of a prototype Rocket 3 engine.
He sees a fault in the design
Then yells out,"ANY BODY GOT A SPRING?"

Then says to himself,"that will work."

Always makes me wonder how this kind of thing even manages to get past the R&D/prototype stage, just how much extra would it cost to develop a heavy duty spring? Not as though it’s anything out of the ordinary!

When you replace the spring - do not use pliers with a sharp edge. Use round nose pliers or a screwdriver. I am convinced that a sharp edge used on the spring creates a microscopic nick which will then lead to a failure.

In case you haven't seen it, instructions are in my signature.

Back