laraza

Turbocharged
Ride
09 R3 Classic
Speaking to Triumph on Monday as I have just had the TPS replaced on my 3 year old bike and the dealer refused to do anything on the price even though it seems to be a regular issue.

If you have had your TPS replaced outside warranty at no charge could you just post the details please (age of bike etc) so that I have some ammo to hit them with.

Cheers

Bypass Dealer and contact Triumph direct .. Dealers out of pocket fixing your bike for reduced fee. Triumphs the ones to talk to. That's what I've needed to do to get things done outside of warranty period.

Warranty / Special Policy Repairs

Here is the low down about "repairs out side of the warranty".
The Dealer can take on the chin for customer loyalty or they can call the factory and plead your case.

The issue with the factory repairing issues "outside" of the factory warranty is it shows or admits there is a problem. The next step is a national recall or national goodwill repair for all. So you can imagine, the factory does not want to open Pandora's box.

That's not to say they won't bend. Also, what kind of relationship do you have with the Dealership? Speak to the service manager directly. Especially if you bought the bike there or if you are the original owner.

Hope that has some insight for you. :)

That's pretty much what I've done and the next course of action is to ring Triumph. The dealer reduced their labour costs by 50% but I just feel that everyone knows the TPS is an issue, Triumph have admitted it by updating it and giving it a new part number, so stump up and if they fail do it for free!
It's great living in Utopia :D

Had mine done in 2012 a few months out of warranty at no cost - goodwill from Triumph.

As has been said, this is mainly down to your dealer, did you ask about warranty before they took the job on? If you didn't they would have diagnoses and replaced it without contacting Triumph - goodwill repairs have to be agreed with Triumph before the jobs done, it might be too late for you now.

Have to say if your dealer didn't talk to you about this at the time they are lacking and I wouldn't go back to them again - this is a well known problem with the previous generation TPS.

Edit:
Looking at your profile you come from Dorset, are you dealing with Total Triumph in Taunton, if you are I'm surprised you weren't treated better - always thought they were OK. Bridge Exeter did mine.

Bulldog Triumph in Berkshire always give me 20% on parts
& fitted TPS while I drank their coffee, labour free for goodwill, years out of warrantee.
Some dealers are better than others, I have a very good one. :)

Had mine done in 2012 a few months out of warranty at no cost - goodwill from Triumph.

As has been said, this is mainly down to your dealer, did you ask about warranty before they took the job on? If you didn't they would have diagnoses and replaced it without contacting Triumph - goodwill repairs have to be agreed with Triumph before the jobs done, it might be too late for you now.

Have to say if your dealer didn't talk to you about this at the time they are lacking and I wouldn't go back to them again - this is a well known problem with the previous generation TPS.

Edit:
Looking at your profile you come from Dorset, are you dealing with Total Triumph in Taunton, if you are I'm surprised you weren't treated better - always thought they were OK. Bridge Exeter did mine.

3x, haven't been that great as they misdiagnosed it as unbalanced throttle bodies first time at £108 then TPS at £137. Think I'm going to give Total a try next time

I have to wonder how many get replaced unnecessarily, when they just need a reset. Easier for the dealer to replace than deal with a potential come back.

3x, haven't been that great as they misdiagnosed it as unbalanced throttle bodies first time at £108 then TPS at £137. Think I'm going to give Total a try next time
Get yourself a copy of TuneECU and a cable. Balancing the throttle bodies is easy and takes ten minutes (if you have triple fliters or similar). Setting the TPS takes five minutes, and replacing it would take another five.

Back