Desert Water Temps

it might be better to have one of those digital temp oil sticks. just a thought.
it does look nice. but do they have them in the states?

I have a Scangauge mounted. It gives you water temps as well as a number of other displays and can display and reset codes. I've seen coolant temps north of 220 on a regular basis in the summer. That was back when I tortured myself by riding in 110+ temps. I now park it for the hottest part of the summer.

I'd be more concerned about keeping my oil from breaking down. I spent a good 3 weeks riding threw the Desert and BadLands with my air cooled v-twin in August. I noticed the oil was like water you could hear it ticking after 6 hours of hard riding in 100*+ weather..

Attachments

• E41A38771 (2).jpg
    E41A38771 (2).jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'd be more concerned about keeping my oil from breaking down. I spent a good 3 weeks riding threw the Desert and BadLands with my air cooled v-twin in August. I noticed the oil was like water you could here it ticking after 6 hours of hard riding in 100*+ weather..

Well, air-cooled V-twins are just a bad design, especially once you put the cylinders in a row so the rear gets crap airflow. I hear that Harley has to literally shut down the rear cylinder to keep the engine from melting into a puddle on the ground in stop/go...? An R3 should hit an upper limit assuming the coolant holds out, but it might be a thought to play with water wetters and other alternatives to plain coolant. Or better yet, if you ride somewhere you know it never goes below freezing, use just pure water and add an additive (water wetter, again) that lubricates the working bits and staves off corrosion.

anybody have a good review of an oil pressure gauge?
dib not leak at opening/battery in guage don't last long/little hard to read temp. but im blinddd/little hard to read oil on stick being all polished up scuffed mine up with wire wheel/nice little light for dark time/ $$$$$

Back