Denali Soundbomb MiniHorn

Eric R.

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
Anyone using this horn on their r3? I was checking it out on Revzilla, and it has a lot of excellent reviews. They claim it to be a plug and play due to it only drawing five amps. They say no relay is needed.
It sounds like a decent option, and a much easier install due to not needing a relay and extra wiring.
Is it true that five amps is low enough to use the stock wiring?
Thanks, Eric

I got one from Jack Lilley Triumph last year for £19.99, gone up a tad since but works well if very infrequently - only used it when testing so far. Pretty sure I just relocated the stock wiring and plugged it in. It will not fit under the stock horn cover.;)

R&G Denali SoundBOMB Mini 113dB Horn | DENTT-SB10200B

R&G Denali SoundBOMB Mini 113dB Horn
Product ID: DENTT-SB10200B

image.php

I dunno, pretty much all the reviewers on Revzilla say just plug and play. I’m not sure how to tell how much current is too much for our horn circuit?

5A is not TOO huge - that's like one std H4 headlight bulb
The other aspect of horn is that is only for very momentary use, not a constant load - short burst.
So that circuit is only pulling that for a few seconds.
With that in mind the OEM wiring will probably be 'adequate'
However - you will certainly be dropping voltage across the wiring and end up with significantly lower voltage at the horn itself (when it's operating that is)
That means it will not be so loud as if it were connected using a relay. (This may not be of concern to many as will still be considerably louder than the OEM - but not living up to its full potential)
The main point of concern is not so much the wiring itself - it's the switch; recognize you are going to be pulling that whole 5A through the switch - that is going to lead to pitting from the arcing as it makes/breaks and will eventually be a point of failure. Again, this can be somewhat mooted by the relatively infrequent use of the horn, so it may never become much of a concern.

Those are the pros and cons
Personally I would fit a relay, but you wouldn't be doing anything too risky using the OEM, but recognize the caveats stated

Thanks DEcosse for taking the time to write a response. I think I’ll go the relay route.
Take care, Eric

Back