Decel popping or steady throttle popping, tuneboy

flt67

.020 Over
Hi, I am new here. Been reading about the decel popping and need some learning. Have 08 Classic with TORS and bypass. No experience with other Rockets. At 2000-2800 rpm range at steady throttle on flat road the engine will suddenly run rough and pop. A slight increase or decrease in throttle will stop the pop and miss. It does not do this every time but is annoying. Is this normal? The dealer has checked everything twice and has loaded a variety of tunes. Is there a tuneboy tune that addresses this or could PC3 be needed. I have also seen topics about the O2 sensor elimination. Also in looking at the tuneboy tune list does any tune work in any Rocket. Any suggestions would appreciated.

flt67 Welcome to the site, I have a lot of decel popping but nothing on steady throttle, I don't have a clue what that could be. I'm sure that another member will chime in and give you some advice.
Again welcome to the forum.
Bob:D

flt67,
welcome to the forum, :D you might have a loose coil wire,and/or a tight intake valve.i would be inclined to get tune-boy... pig9r is very good at deciphering and advising on tunes,i'm sure he'll be along shortly. and yes,tune-boy does have a tune for your bike; 20050-2. it's a 'standard' hi-po tune, but it should work o.k. for you.

greg

Last edited:
The popping is caused by a lean condition, that is why adding throttle causes it to go away. And yes it is a comman issue. The stock tunes are very lean. To eliminate you can replace the cat box, get a PCIII or get a tuneboy. There are several tunes that will work for you or one can be easily modified.

Hi, I am new here. Been reading about the decel popping and need some learning. Have 08 Classic with TORS and bypass. No experience with other Rockets. At 2000-2800 rpm range at steady throttle on flat road the engine will suddenly run rough and pop. A slight increase or decrease in throttle will stop the pop and miss. It does not do this every time but is annoying. Is this normal? The dealer has checked everything twice and has loaded a variety of tunes. Is there a tuneboy tune that addresses this or could PC3 be needed. I have also seen topics about the O2 sensor elimination. Also in looking at the tuneboy tune list does any tune work in any Rocket. Any suggestions would appreciated.

There are plenty of custom Tuneboy tunes for the TOR/cat bypass setup, e.g.,

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Welcome flt67 to the forum, glad to have you. Don't be a stranger.

Normal? No it's not normal. Adding this or subtracting that shouldn't be your concern. Take it to the dealer and leave it for a hour or two. Let them experience the issue and demand that they they fix it. Modifying (adding TuneBoy) before getting the unnatural kinks worked out isn't to your benefit. How many miles do you have on the beast thus far.

"Also in looking at the tuneboy tune list does any tune work in any Rocket."

I have run tunes that weren't specifically stated to be for stocker bologna pipes without the cat box and with a stocker air filter. I've borrowed and copied additional modified tables to these atypical tunes. The only down side has been loss of gas mileage. But you get that with ED performance enhancements. :D

In my FBG is an imbalance between the throttle bodies. The ECM does a pretty good job at making up the difference. There's an allowed imbalance for which the ECM is said to overcome. Within the same range you speak of, and at a steady speed, I have something of a very very minor surging of power or perhaps it's a minor drop. This TB imbalance could possibly be greater in your case, resulting in the coughing and farting??? Which, come to think of it, is too much air and a lean condition may be the issue after all. :D

Last edited:
The popping is caused by a lean condition, that is why adding throttle causes it to go away. And yes it is a comman issue. The stock tunes are very lean. To eliminate you can replace the cat box, get a PCIII or get a tuneboy. There are several tunes that will work for you or one can be easily modified.

BINGO!

The lean condition is a result of Triumph being forced to meet given emissions regulations. A lot of newer bikes do this, and it will become more and more common. It will get worse in warmer weather. It can be fixed at the dealership, but they will richen the entire curve, not just where it needs fuel.

As pig9r stated, the true fix is aftermarket tuning.

Thanks for the welcomes. Tuneboy may be the way on the way. My dealer has stripped things down to the head and put it back and found nothing. The service manager rode it 100+ miles and felt the current tune was correct. It could be my riding style aggravates the pop. When it starts popping I tend to feather the throttle to make it worse. If I ignore it the sucker runs like a bat out of HE$L. My dealer seems comfortable with extra tuning as long as the pistons are not melted.
With Tuneboy tunes should the O2 sensor be disabled or should the A/F tables be modified or left as they are in tune? I have downloaded it fom their site to see how it works.
Would a Dyno tuning be recommended, I know this is for power but I just want a smoother running engine?
Thanks again for all the input.

Dyno tuning is always the best choice, just not the easiest with only a Tuneboy. A PCIII on a dynojet dyno is simpler and you can import the map into Tuneboy and load into the ECU. I would not feather the throttle because you are causing the ECU to save fuel trims based on your opening the throttle. Then the times that you don't feather the throttle it will be even worse. If you get tuneboy I would disable the O2 because otherwise the O2 sensor will cause the ECU to trim out the fueling to lean it out again.

The decel popping isn't going to hurt anything, it is just more of a nuisance. These are the areas that have been identified to add fuel to help eliminate the popping.

Link Removed

Back