Dealership Problem - Need Your Advice

PEKAY

.020 Over
Ride
2015 ROCKET ROADSTER
I took my 2015 Rocket Roadster (with 1700 miles showing) to the local Triumph Dealer to have them install new Avon Tires front and back (hated the Metzlers). The dealership's policy was that I had to buy the tires from them(no carry in option). So I complied and purchased the tires and made an appointment to have them mounted. When I got the bike back home I started cleaning the hand prints etc. off the rims. (They didn't even clean off the wheel weight adhesive from the old wheel weights). So as I'm cleaning the rims I notice 2 deep chip marks on the edge of the rim. Obviously the mechanic had a hard time mounting the 240 rear tire and as a result chipped the aluminum rim.

I called the dealership right away to make them aware of the problem and the guy I spoke to in the Service Dept. agreed that it shouldn't have happened and said he would forward my complaint to management. I'm going there again in the morning to show them the rim and try to get this resolved.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I really believe they should replace the rim with a new one on their dime. The rim was pristine when it went in and it was damaged when it came out. Will the damage cause problems for the tire?...probably not, but I really don't feel I should let this go. Even if the dealership replaced the wheel I seriously doubt I would continue to do business with them in the future. If I can't count on them to mount tires without causing damage, I surely wouldn't take them a more intricate problem.

What do you guys think? What would be your course of action in this scenario?

For consumables like tires, oil, etc., the dealership is not my first choice. Warranty work, major issues, sure but not something as mundane as tires.

Yes, they should replace the wheel at no cost to you.

They should replace it. I had the tires replaced on my F-350 dually a few months back at Discount Tire and they did a similar thing with one major exception. The guy called me before I was scheduled to go pick it up, told me they had damaged the rim and that he had another on it's way over from the Ford dealership, but it would cause an hour or so delay in picking up the truck. I told him fine and that I appreciated his call and that the delay was no big deal. When I arrived he walked out to the truck with me and showed me the wheel (which was in the back of my truck) and explained that because of the size this sometimes happened. I went on my merry way with a slightly used but infinitely fixable aluminum wheel in the bed of my truck with no more damage than a few scratches. This is how customer service is supposed to work.

These dealerships are becoming worse and worse it seems, and I wont limit that statement to Triumph. They all think they have us over a barrel and tend to work us over, it seems on a pretty regular basis. Right now mine has been in for almost 2 weeks for a tire change and detent spring replacement (and it still has not seen a wrench turned on it). I am trying to see if they are going to get to it this week.

8000 miles and the detent spring needs replacing.....

2 weeks for pretty basic service.....

I will pay a minimum of $500 for their time, cause their shop rate is now $110, which used to be $85.

I prefer working on my bikes myself, but this time I took it in because I was out of town last week. Now I need to either push them to get it done or go get everything and do it myself (which, right now, I have no time to do).

At the moment;

Pissed at Triumph on working on my 2013 R3R!

Pissed at Harley over the crap performance of my 2005 RK Custom!

Happily riding my '96 BMW R1100GS that needs nothing but basic service!

Maybe I need a Honda!

They should replace it with a equally quality rim even if it is used as long as it is in the same pristine condition. That being said the Meztler Radial is very stiff in the side wall area. It sucks taking them off. of course you can also run it for 20 miles down the road with a large hole it it where as a Avon will be sitting flat on the rim. Don't ask me how I know :). I can not speak for the Bridgy because I have not had a blow out yet. I suspect somewhere between the two.

I hope it works out well for you.

I am trying the Bridgestone/Avon combo this time around. I got 8000 out of the original Metz.

I agree, they should swap to a new rim and give you the option of buying the bad rim at a discount. Then you can sell it to me for my DS setup.

I am trying the Bridgestone/Avon combo this time around. I got 8000 out of the original Metz.

I agree, they should swap to a new rim and give you the option of buying the bad rim at a discount. Then you can sell it to me for my DS setup.
I did the same thing only had the rim made into a 18 inch for more tire choices. Still you can not beat the longevity of the Excedra max on the back and it runs well with the Avon on the front.

tow weeks for a detent spring I would be looking for another dealer if I could not do it myself.

I did the same thing only had the rim made into a 18 inch for more tire choices. Still you can not beat the longevity of the Excedra max on the back and it runs well with the Avon on the front.

tow weeks for a detent spring I would be looking for another dealer if I could not do it myself.

I am already with the best dealer in town, sadly.

Back