Hillbilly

.020 Over
Ride
07 rocket three
Hi rocketeers I’ve had my 2007 rocket roadster since new it’s only got 22000 ks on it and I’ve never had an issue. After putting modified catalytic converters different mufflers some extra chrome and an ignition relocation switch and that was about it ALL GOOD, until now. The problem being turn the key still all good, hit the start button no good, turn the bars either way cranks and goes. After watching you tube and reading stuff it’s now got a EB headlight really and a extra starter relay I’ve done a continuity check from start button to the other end of the plug all good so I’m scratching my head wondering where to look next please help I’m desperate

If you installed the relay mod after the problem showed up then the ignition switch is most likely the culprit. The white wire has melted off the switch terminal. It is possible to take the switch off and take it apart, fix up any melted bits and solder the wire back on. Turning the handlebars to make contact is a classic symptom. Fiddly job removing the tamper proof screws holding the switch on but patience and perseverance will have you back on the road in a couple of hours. the relay mod ensures the switch won't overheat again.

Thanks I’ll have a look the ignition is pretty easy to get I relocated it below the seat on the left hand side I’m hoping it’s easy as this thanks again

One more question is it just the plastic cap on the bottom of the ignition cause the soldered wires there all look good and test ok for continuity or do I need to delve into the ignition deeper?
Regards Hillbilly

This is as far as I got do I need to take the white plastic bit out to?

Attachments

• 4304C2B3-1CE8-498D-95E1-DC6DF0FA01DA.jpeg
    4304C2B3-1CE8-498D-95E1-DC6DF0FA01DA.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 4
I've had similar symptoms and found a melted wire near the headstock, just behind the left headlight. No idea where the wire went or came from or what it was attached to but some heatshrink and a cable tie to keep it away from the back of the light solved the problem.

Look in the 8 pin terminal block to the ign switch and the wires at the back of the lid plus as they can also show signs of heat damage. Also look at the clutch switch at the clutch lever as it is a known culprit as it can get sticky or just fail - be carful with the switch as it can break and are not easy to find a replacement

First of all i would like to say hi and welcome from uk.As mr hunt said check wiring round headstock i had intermittent problem with rear brake light indicators when turning handle bars.Trapped wire reconnected and rerouted. Not the same problem but worth checking:thumbsup:

Hi rocketeers I’ve had my 2007 rocket roadster since new it’s only got 22000 ks on it and I’ve never had an issue. After putting modified catalytic converters different mufflers some extra chrome and an ignition relocation switch and that was about it ALL GOOD, until now. The problem being turn the key still all good, hit the start button no good, turn the bars either way cranks and goes. After watching you tube and reading stuff it’s now got a EB headlight really and a extra starter relay I’ve done a continuity check from start button to the other end of the plug all good so I’m scratching my head wondering where to look next please help I’m desperate
Welcome Mate, what part of OZ are you from?

Back