Daytona Bike Week 2020 meetup and post-event riding and skrew it I’m riding home

Looks like you were real close to my house.

Maybe we can get together next year. I usually ride out to the Gulf Beaches in Clearwater but I'm avoiding Tampa...
I really wanted to do a KW run but can't risk passing through Dade county to get there. Next time I guess.

Main Street Daytona Beach on lockdown - sad.
Pine Island Park - looks nice from fence
IMG_3939.JPG
IMG_3940.JPG
IMG_3960.JPG
IMG_3961.JPG
but closed.

I ran into this nice gentleman Jim near Mulberry Florida today on my C19 lockdown compliance inspection.
He bought a modified 2006? Rocket in 2010?, had engine issues, got it fixed and then sold it to work overseas.
Does anyone recognize this awesome paint job?? I don't recall seeing it before online.

IMG_2480.jpeg

I got dizzy and bored of doing the same Central Florida loops so headed out at 10:30am Sunday 4/19/20.

Day 46 - 400 miles Orlando to Destin Florida. 80-90F.
High gusty winds most of Rt75 and Rt 10 and 1 good soaking. Nicer coming down 79 but mostly under construction.

Day 47 - 330 miles Destin Florida to Brookhaven Mississippi on Rt98. 70’s.

Cloudy and I had to wear a light jacket all day but with shorts. Rode near Marion County where a tornado hit last night killing one. Mangled, snapped and uprooted trees for a few miles. Guess I should have gotten a picture.

Day 48 - 400 miles Brookhaven MS to Tupelo via the Natchez Trace Parkway. High 70's but I had to wear fleece and windbreaker and lite gloves till noon.

Wow, the Trace is a wonderful road. I'm so happy I detoured a few days to run it.
It is Quite similar to the Blue Ridge but without the mountain vistas or sharp turns. BUT, the speed limit was 50, no cops in 240 miles, almost entirely passing zones and it is in 95% perfect condition.
Tons of nice sweepers, some lakes, farms and fields but mainly old growth forest. It is a must do ride if you're in that area..

I only passed 10 cars and 1 HD northbound in over 200 miles. Southbound had a few more cars but not many as the state is on lockdown.
Lots of people fishing though...

I just happened to have mellow morning music playing and started Stevie Nicks just before getting on the Parkway and one song played as I cruised called "Beauty and the Beast".
There is a verse in the song that captured the spirit of the entire days experience: "There is no beauty without my beast (my love)".

There's nothing like riding a Rocket on a perfect day on a wonderful road like that. I can't wait to do the rest of it tomorrow.

Annotation 2020-04-21 194325.jpg

Last edited:
Day 49 - 300? Miles from Tupelo MS into Alabama to Nashville Tennessee to Cookeville.
OMFG the Natchez Trace Parkway continued to get even better at the northern end in Tennessee. The last 50 miles were pure bliss. Twisty mountain sweepers at their best.

I passed less than 20 cars in 250 miles and not a single constable. I took it up to 100MPH a few times mid-way just because I could.
Hardly any bikes out today.
7983A62F-7BD0-4741-A2EB-74521D5BCD23.jpeg
63759E8E-87C1-4EA5-AF62-9A18449876A1.jpeg
CA97A85A-EE51-4E47-A2A3-18E959558298.jpeg
84372903-98C7-4FA5-A276-E1553DDC41B0.jpeg

Day 50 - rain, rest & relaxation.
Day 51 - 300 miles into NC and back to TN.
Cherohala Skyway - check! Really foggy at the top and watch for some tree cleanup debris and just a couple areas with sand washed into road.
NOTE: There are several signs in Tellico Plains as you get on the Parkway stating that it is closed at the NC border. Trickery and Tom Foolery! Grip it and rip it!

Dragon's Tail - check! You can order food outside and eat on picnic tables. Shirt area is open.
Foothills Parkway - check! A nice leisurely and scenic ride.
BONUS Foothills Parkway northern extension - check! Wow, even more to love. There are even some nice twisties coming down towards Pigeon Forge too.

Serious fog on the Cherohala Parkway. Almost zero viz in spots - usually on sharp turns it seemed. Smokey Mtns were indeed smokey for awhile.

Flipped 150,000 last night too. WOOT! She'll get some fresh oil and some driveline lube next week to celebrate.

IMG_4061.JPG
IMG_4064.JPG
IMG_4065.JPG
View attachment
IMG_4076.JPG
IMG_4081.JPG

Back