Daytona Bike Week 2020 meetup and post-event riding and skrew it I’m riding home

I could have sworn I peeked in there two years ago and it looked fine! LOL :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

I have a spare - back in my garage in NY (with my backup TPS and ECU cable and new clutch cable AAARRRGGGHHH)...

Maybe I'll find one here as this one is 12 years old and beat up even after a good cleaning.

Is there an official term for not having enough time to do proper PM but spending 4X the amount dealing with the resulting issues in the hot sun on the side of
a busy road? :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Get you a piece of hose and run that vent up to the air filters(it used to be connected to the old airbox anyway). Give you some crank case suction.
1. Potentially helps with the valve cover gasket blow out issue
2. That oil gets burned as it is pulled from the crank case
3. That area of the engine stays clean and those of us at Leakey last year know you like to shine that orange tribal. =)

Get you a piece of hose and run that vent up to the air filters(it used to be connected to the old airbox anyway). Give you some crank case suction.
1. Potentially helps with the valve cover gasket blow out issue
2. That oil gets burned as it is pulled from the crank case
3. That area of the engine stays clean and those of us at Leakey last year know you like to shine that orange tribal. =)

Yes, I remember hearing that a while back and ran into some posts from warp9 et al when looking for the crankcase filter last night (K&N 62-1560, or 62-1340 btw).

I'm going to give it some thought after seeing this mess - you never know who is going to inspect for cleanliness in there!

Just FYI- I have left the crankcase breather connected to the air box. I have a sheet of foam cut to fit over the bottom that I clean every year and replace every other year. It works very well and tools that I keep in the box are never dirty.

3/22 update:

1. Cleaned front two plugs again just to be sure after making the other changes.
2. Made a new temporary splice for the kickstand sensor bypass.
3. Sprayed electrical cleaner on everything under the tank.
4. Added dielectric grease to most of the connections and coil connectors.
5. Rode 150 miles.
6. Kicked a HD's butt who attempted to hole shot me at a light. So happy I didn't stall out...

3/23 update:

1. Made another pass at dialing in the TB's - much closer now with all close to 610. Running even smoother.
2. Idle was a bit high 980-1000 so I readjusted it closer to 950-960.
3. Rode 250 miles to get BBQ and work on my biker tan.

Here is a shot from Main St Daytona two weeks ago 2 minutes before it died on me. Poor attempt at removing overlay...

DaytonaMainSt2020.jpg

3/24 - New front tire installed at Euro-Sport in Orlando. Michelin 150/70R17 reversed. $307 and they bled the front brakes for free.
Current one had 15,000 miles on it and could have gone further.

Rode to Triumph Daytona and bought front & rear brake pads.

Rode down Main St. Daytona Beach. What a sad sight, everything is shut down. Seemed like a ghost town.

Went up the coast to Flagler Beach. All coastal access parking spots and rest areas are now closed.

Cut west across 100 then down 11, 19, and 27 to 192.
Nice ride but now the tables outside gas stations are taped off so you can't sit and eat what you buy inside.

Found twin 2020 Red R's in Orlando then triplets in Daytona.

IMG_3903.JPG
IMG_3905.JPG
IMG_3907.JPG

3/25 Rendezvous with Ogre and T plus HD friend in Dora.
275 mile ride to Ozello to ride "one of the twistiest roads in Florida" and up to Ocala to return Fingers ECM Cable.

There were maybe 20 turns. Woot! A few required a gear change. Road was a bit beat up in some corners.
There are also a lot of homes and people fishing close to the road so its no 'tail'... A scenic ride nonetheless.

SHHHH, the picnic tables at the Ozello boat launch are not taped off. Nice picnic spot.

IMG_3908.JPG

Last edited:
I did part of the loop that starts at Dean Still Rd. of Rt27 In Davenport, Fl. Quite backroads but really not that many twisties.

Gave up on that and decided to try and make the United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket launch carrying the AEHF-6 military communications satellite for the U.S. Space Force.

I hit some busy traffic and it was really hot - 88 and I had to stop a few times so it took me several hours to get to the coast.

It was supposed the take off at 2:57pm. I got to Cape Canaveral A1A at 3:45 and didn't see any trails in the sky so I thought I missed it.

After a late lunch I got on Rt528 to head back to Orlando and saw over one hundred people sharing COVID-19 (I mean holding cameras) so I stopped just in time to see part of the lift-off. This has been on my bucket list for many years.

IMG_3912.MOV

Better video is at: The first US Space Force national security mission will launch today. Here's how to watch live | Space

Sad to see empty cruise ships just sitting there. Also rode by Orlando airport and a huge number of planes grounded.

IMG_3913.JPG
IMG_3914.JPG

Back