Datatool alarm connector

laraza

Turbocharged
Ride
09 R3 Classic
Posted this on common issues but think it belongs here.
I've got the triumph plate to disable the alarm ......I'm pretty certain this is it but anybody know for sure if this is the block I need to disconnect? Under the right side panel and seems to be wrapped in heatshrinkwhich is well and truly stuck on (knife not touching it) so any ideas for removing that would be welcome!

20171115_161605.jpg

20171115_161611.jpg

If one end or the other has the datatool box hanging on it, it is the one. Luckily most all the plugs on our Rockets are different so you can't plug the wrong thing into any socket. With the shrink wrap it's hard for me to be sure...but it looks about right. And better if it is more or less laying between cylinders one and two.

If one end or the other has the datatool box hanging on it, it is the one. Luckily most all the plugs on our Rockets are different so you can't plug the wrong thing into any socket. With the shrink wrap it's hard for me to be sure...but it looks about right.

If only I could get the f***ing shrink wrap off I could be sure! :mad::banghead::confused:

If that one is under the right panel, there is another one (at other end of that harness, which is an extender cable) under the tank - follow the harness up and you will find it connected on the right side bout midway under the tank (vs all the front interconnects which are more immediately behind the steering head)
Check that one - it may also be heat-shrunk, but you might have better luck getting that one off
The extender cable can be removed along with the alarm itself
If it IS heat-shrunk (with adhesive liner) then first put a slice along its length with a sharp blade then use heat gun - or good hot hair drier at close range - to melt the glue then peel it back as it melts.

Luckily most all the plugs on our Rockets are different so you can't plug the wrong thing into any socket.

Not true - indeed the alarm connector is actually interchangeable with both bar-switch connectors* (which themselves can obviously be swapped into the incorrect respective socket)

* The bar-switch connectors changed type on later Roadster & Touring Models, same series as the Key-Switch connector on those later models

Note that you will need the blanking plug to insert into the harness to complete the circuit (regardless of which connector you are removing it from)

Last edited:
Both my bikes the connector is under the tank

It is under the tank on ALL R3 generations - when an actual alarm is installed it utilizes an extender cable which connects into that main harness connector and the alarm then plugs into the other end of the extender.
As explained in my previous reply, the OP has simply found the end of the extender, not the origin.
It does not really matter if the extender is left in place and the blanking plug connected there under the side cover, where it easier to access, although much cleaner to just get rid of the extender along with the alarm as it is redundant.

It is under the tank on ALL R3 generations - when an actual alarm is installed it utilizes an extender cable which connects into that main harness connector and the alarm then plugs into the other end of the extender.
As explained in my previous reply, the OP has simply found the end of the extender, not the origin.
It does not really matter if the extender is left in place and the blanking plug connected there under the side cover, where it easier to access, although much cleaner to just get rid of the extender along with the alarm as it is redundant.
Sorry.... didn’t realize that the datatool alarm uses an extender. I have the Scorpio alarm system on both of my Rockets and the plug with the blanking plug was located under the tank, right side as you have mentioned.

:thumbsup:

@laraza - Frank - lift the tank and do it there.
I did not want to say earlier as I too was unsure if ALL R3's were the same.
Mine is under the tank.
I know because I plugged an Eliptech A-flasher (seems no longer to be made) in there.

Back