Darkside with 11.5" 444 shocks?

jaredmt

.060 Over
Ride
2014 Roadster
Some progressive 444 series 11.5" shocks. Stock is 12.5" I believe.
Anyone have any problems or see any problems with this?

Thanks!

I think you will run into problems unless you ride solo and shocks are very stiff.
You may say goodbye to some of your wiring under your fender...

When I ran a thread on shocks recently 1ollbull recommended not going less than 12.5". I think Sleeves went to 13.5" IIRC.

Several members advised not going below stock though I seem to remember one went down to 11.5". Can't remember who though.

I bought Hagon Nitros and did consider the 440s or their new replacements but wasn't that unhappy with the standard shocks that I wanted to spend a huge amount, just get it better. Very pleased with the Hagons whether anything else is better or not.

I had 1" lower Hagon nitros and they made the bike look really cool till I had a passenger and no wiring under the fender and limited lean angle - so they are no longer - sold to another member for a trailer or something.

All good information guys, thank you. I would like the extra footing that you get with that extra inch (pays to have very solid footing on the ground with such a heavy bike) but I also want to go darkside again ... I miss that from my last RIII. Sounds like I can't go both. Unless I get my 'lowering' from the seat. Know of any aftermarket seats like a Corbin, etc that are lower profile that the stock? :)

I have done it! . . . twice!
DO NOT RECOMMEND IT!!!
If you set the 11½" on the stiffest setting your sag will suffer.
If you ride like a granny (fairly slow in the twisties) you "may" get away with it.
Either way, sooner or later you'll have shaved wires and electrical problems.
I would stick with 12½ or even a tad taller.

I have done it! . . . twice!
DO NOT RECOMMEND IT!!!
If you set the 11½" on the stiffest setting your sag will suffer.
If you ride like a granny (fairly slow in the twisties) you "may" get away with it.
Either way, sooner or later you'll have shaved wires and electrical problems.
I would stick with 12½ or even a tad taller.

Bits of wisdom like this that just come from experience is why I love this forum. I wouldn't call myself wild, but I love twisties and do scrape the occasional peg on good corners. Sounds like I'll keep the stock height and just look for a seat (if there are any) that might grant a lower ride height (also not a huge deal ... never did it with my other RIIIs)

Just a thought and maybe more than you want to get into, but you could change the lighting and wiring?
As for Corbin's, they're lower, but wider, so you actually loose foot stance with them (my experience). I'm sure there's some lower seats out there though.

Bits of wisdom like this that just come from experience is why I love this forum. I wouldn't call myself wild, but I love twisties and do scrape the occasional peg on good corners. Sounds like I'll keep the stock height and just look for a seat (if there are any) that might grant a lower ride height (also not a huge deal ... never did it with my other RIIIs)

Thank you for the very kind words!
I have only a 29" inseam and that's why I have experienced this - twice!
I have gone a little (.10") over the 12.5" length with 320 mm and can get both feet (well, OK maybe not totally flat footed) on the ground and I also use beads on my seat.
Handling is not affected at all and the only drawback I've found so far is when I pull into a downhill park stall front first. :eek:
Since I have installed Standard rails, controls and boards, clearance is even better now, and for the first time with this Roadster I do not have to consider the possible results of major dragging prior to entering a twistie . . . and that there is HUGE!
PS: I run the Progressive 444s self damping shocks.

Back