Darkside Weight Limitation

Marc Habel

Standard Bore
Ride
Triumph 2018 Rocket III Roadster
So my wife and I are......sizeable, and the both of us on the Rocket III and stock rear tire are dangerous due to the weight limitations of the tire. Does going to the dark side alleviate that issue?

OK, I'll bite...what exactly is the "dark side"?
Maybe yelling "Luke, I'm your father!" to the tire??

And to be honest, down here in the South, where fried chicken and mexican food rules, I see people two up on Harleys that would make you just shudder. I mean, not to be derogatory, but maybe 600 lbs. on the hoof between the two of them, two up on a HD Ultra, with bags packed, front end up a little, second bag on top of the trunk.

I never hear about breaking frames accidents, nor do I ever see any of them short of getting where they want to go. It is my contention that the manufacturers build these frames so overbuilt that the maximum weight listing in the owner's manual is not much more than a CYA for the company and insurance claims. Tires may run hot, but with multiple stops, I wonder just how much weight these bikes, and others, can really take? I thinks way more than we think!

I mean really, when was the last time you saw two well endowed people on a bike that failed frame wise, or popped a tire? For me, never.

Last edited:
Car tires have a much higher weight rating, I think you'll be good on that issue.

Hagon Nitro and the Progressive ones both come heavy duty/ sized for whatever weight you need. I think I may have gotten mine at David Silver spares, it was a while ago, but they asked my weight with gear, how often with pillion, luggage, etc, very thorough.

I am 150kg and my missus is 100kg I just run extra air in the tyres 42 back and 40 front. I do need better suspension though looking at hagons seem the best value for money so far.

Back