Darkside R3T - Yokohama Avid Envigor 205/60R16?

dbcrum

.020 Over
For some time I've been on the fence, searching for anything related to the R3T and the darkside.This weekends riding has left me feeling unsafe on the current Metz. The tread is gone. No threads showing but they gotta be close. Can't wait any longer - need a tire NOW.

I've selected the Yokohama Avid Envigor 205/60R16 over the Avid H4S just because of the slightly higher treadware. I believe a few on the forum have mounted the H4S on their R3T's but I can't seem to find anything about the Envigor. Has anyone tried it? The only real difference I find in the specs is the treadware rating. Max diameter and section width are identical so either should fit - correct?

Most of my riding is 2-up on the superslab, probably 450 pound load plus luggage. Not aggressive in the curves. How likely is it the tire will rub the underside of the fender when the going gets bumpy? Or anywhere else for that matter?

I hope to have the CT mounted next weekend. Much to my surprise, my local Truimph dealer said he would mount it, no problem. That would be Pete's Cycle in Baltimore, MD for anyone in the area that might be interested.

I put this in the darkside forum because I figure those reading this have already weighed the pros/cons and decided for themselves. Not interested in a debate - just info about this specific tire on the R3T. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I've ordered a new Metz just in case I feel I've made a mistake. But I don't expect to need it.

On a side note, 4 local shops have told me the Yokohama H4S has been discontinued and once their stock is gone, that's it.

Ride safe,
dbcrum

i have a yoko avis v4s 205-60-16 on mine and have bout 4000 miles on it and no problem and i have hit some pretty good bumps on the highway and have not noticed no rubbing at all and when i ordered mine the tire dealer said nothing bout them being discontinued but as i said i am running the v rated not the h rated u shouldnt have any problems with yours

Thanks rainman. I just read your previous post on the .com site about going ds and was hoping you would check in.

My dealer did say he had mounted a few ct's - on Valkeries mostly. Hopefully all goes well. I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Many thanks again.

That looks like a good choice. My only reservation is the high treadwear rating. That's an awfully hard tire. It shoul give you good long service but I would personally look for one with a little bit softer compoind.

Looking at www.tiresavings.com, I saw 2 that looked promising. The Riken Raptor AS is slightly softer than the Yoko. I run the Raptor ZR on my Std and have over 20k on it and it still looks almost new.

Another option that looks better is the Bridgestone G019. It has a 460 treadwear rating plus a cool looking tread pattern.

If you're set on the Yoko, you won't be wrong. Just giving you some options.

tdragger u gonna ride up or drive
and the yoko was one of your suggtion when i was debating going darkside i really like the tire does excellent in the curves no problem in the rain which i apprciate everyone that gave me advice on it

I saw the Yoko perform first had from right behind it on the Cerohala on Monday. I am going Dark Side after this Metz wears out. Rainman had a large contact patch at all times, layed it over in curves without a problem, tire looked and worked great, he worked it hard and it just looked great throughout the ride. STB's is in the garage waiting to be mounted, good choice.:):):)

Go Vols, and SEC. How many Nat'l. Championships in football has the SEC won in a row now?:) I am a devout Kentucky fan but we defend each other against all attacks from "outsiders":cool:. Roll Tide Roll.

Back