Dark Side...The Last Time...Promise!! (Pictures)

steelboss

.040 Over
Ok...now don't shoot me... :unsure: If you can see my early posts I first had a normal bike tire on my R3T :whitstling:, and then a car tire... ;)and then I went back to a bike tire...:cautious:...er...well...yea, so now I have gone back to a car tire...:confused::banghead:.. Here is the summary after more than two years of change.

The R3T is truly a heavy bike and I have owned all weight classes of bikes. This bike a more like a missile than a motorcycle when at speed. The bike is quick and heavy and it hates to stop. Although I have not crashed this bike yet, I have fish-tailed it numerous times. The motorcycle tire is ok for open roads with few obstacles, coupled with the front brakes, yea, it will stop the bike. But if you are doing 60mph (100km/h) and some farmer pulls out in front of you on a tractor...:ninja::eek::ninja::eek: ..you will be in trouble no matter which brake you go for or how you apply it. I am 52 years old so I don't throw down like I used to, but I have no problem doing over 100mph if i have the right bike under me.
The car time simply changes the whole game...for real. I can fly on my rocket now with no spinning and very..no extremely accurate braking..:thumbsup: I mean, I can either brake very quickly with no sliding...or if I want to be dramatic and scare the hell out of someone, I can lock the rear wheel and slide as straight as an arrow, or turn the handle bar to control the fish-tail to my liking. It is very easy to steer the slide and has that all-alarming car tire skidding sound that makes people jump about 3-feet in the air...:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:. Now, the best part is the car tire is not expensive. This time (unlike the first time) the balance of the tire was perfect and i cannot feel anything. I am super-duper, wildly, giggly, happy!!!:D:roll::laugh:. Safe at any speed...er..maybe.

upload_2015-4-15_16-12-43.png
upload_2015-4-15_16-13-17.png

upload_2015-4-15_16-14-22.png

I must have a very weak R3T, it hasn't spun my back tire yet. :( It sounds like you don't have ABS on your bike, I do. I tried it at 85MPH with two cars spinning out in front of me; brakes hauled me down to a safe stop much faster than I thought they could. Just grabbed a hand full of front and stood on the back one. A couple of my friends here locally swear by the longevity of the dark side but I get over 15K on my Excedra Max without the threads showing.
Glad you're happy with your ride and may you have a millions safe miles or more on your ride.

I must have a very weak R3T, it hasn't spun my back tire yet. :( It sounds like you don't have ABS on your bike, I do. I tried it at 85MPH with two cars spinning out in front of me; brakes hauled me down to a safe stop much faster than I thought they could. Just grabbed a hand full of front and stood on the back one. A couple of my friends here locally swear by the longevity of the dark side but I get over 15K on my Excedra Max without the threads showing.
Glad you're happy with your ride and may you have a millions safe miles or more on your ride.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I cannot spin the car tire or the last bike tire i had. But when I bought the bike it has semi-bald Metz or Mich and was just happy to spin immediately if I goosed it. My bike is a 2008 and has no ABS, but knowing how ABS works I can say that if you had a CT on, the bike would stop muck quicker...but anyway, enjoy the ride!!

I'm due a new tire within a couple thousand miles. I've actually considered a CT for the rear. What size and brand are you running. Have you "downsized" the front tire in hopes of a little better steering? Any member comments?

I sure am interested in going Darkside. I hope there is someone at RAA who might let me take their car tire for a spin in the twistys.

The touring being limited to a narrower tyre would handle pretty goo I would imagine, I am currently back on a dark side and because I can run the widest that will fit, that being a 240/50/16 on my 08 Std but am contemplating going to a 225/55/16 to see what difference it makes

Last edited:
Back