Dang cold natured beast!!!

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
This morning the bike gives me a face full of grief. When the temps drop below freezing as in around 27-29F, it becomes harder to start. Sometimes after several attempts at starting, it fires off but the check engine light stays on. After a few normal starts, the light goes out. (When this happens, I lose the neutral light. The computer thinks the bike is in gear for some reason).

Today is much warmer at 37F and it didn't start correctly. Several tries later it did start with the check engine light on like each winter before. However this time, the computer is retarding the engine so I turned it around after a few blocks and took it home. I can go up through second gear but once in third it is barely above idle before the computer stalls it back down.

I run a 780 amp battery now for over a year and have gone through several now trying to crack this dang low temperature issue. I will keep on of course, but now I am concerned something slipped inside on the first attempt...

Man, that is a new one. I’ll be anxious to see what our smarter forum members offer as advice.

Today is much warmer at 37F and it didn't start correctly. Several tries later it did start with the check engine light on like each winter before. However this time, the computer is retarding the engine so I turned it around after a few blocks and took it home. I can go up through second gear but once in third it is barely above idle before the computer stalls it back down.
All I can think of is a temp sensor doing something odd - Where is your AIT?

if the check engine light was on it should have had a code. ?
if no neutral light will it still start with the kickstand down?
if it will still start then the ecu still see the neutral switch neutral and fails to sent signal to light.
i think i would replace gear selector switch / clean

for what it is worth i have a walmart bat and this morning (a little cool) cranked real slow 2 times and just click 20 minutes on a 10 amp charger an it cranks so fast u would not believe it. so i now know i need a bat.
before i upgraded my starter and neg cable i used starting fluid might work well if u gave it try if u can shake it out of the can at 27 degrees:laugh::laugh:

Back