Dang Broken Throttle Cable

tdragger

Living Legend
Turned the corner about 1/4 mile from work this morning and POP! The throttle grip went into near freeplay and the revs went to idle. Being that I was almost to work I just let the ol' torque monster chug its way to the parking lot.

Disassembly of the throttle housing revealed that the throttle cable broke just above the grip as shown below. I suspect that water had seeped in from above and weakened the cable and she finally let go this morning.

Question to fellow captains: when replacing the throttle cable is it also a good idea to go ahead and replace the return cable?

You probably should replace the return cable. You will be in the general area anwyays. If water is getting in there, it's getting to both cables.. and the return cable sits on the bottom, where water is likely to sit also. I would apply some wheel bearing grease, or other grease to the ends of the new cables as well as under the grip before you put it back on.. It will help the cable ends rotate as you turn the grip, and help your grip turn smoothly, as well as repel water..

Happened to mr several times when I had my Bonneville, and it looks like the same set up in the Rocket. I had the cable repaired at a Harley shop (it broke again) and it seemed like the harley cables are a lot thicker.

Back