barbagris

Mad Scientist
Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
So here I am in the Uk / no tools and guess what / bloody thing will not start.

Volmeter that feeds via the PDM60 shows good volts but no BANG. Either battery or starter wires at a guess. But it had to happen at 7AM in the bloody dark.

Coming off the ferry I had an issue / so was not entirely unexpected.

Oh well.

This must be the season for electrical issues. Mine is down right now, I see a few others also on line.

Wierd - but looks as if simply the battery is CLOSE to death. And there was an earth issue where a wire had worked loose between Madrid and Santander. But that was resolved and a 60min/60 mile ride in the UK should have recharged a goodly amount.

I THINK (being sealed and a bugger to unseal) the AcidGlassMats have dried out a bit. So the 21aH battery is in fact closer to (say) a 10aH. Charge it on a sentient charger and it charges slowly and fully. Charger detects it as an M/C battery (i.e. not BIG). Did this on Thursday and took 5 hours!.

Friday was fine - yesterday "just" fired and today turned but no spark. 10mins on a charger and it's OK again. factor in 2* PDM60's that draw 50milliamps each and it really is now only just capable.

Thursday late managed to get hold of an old mate in the M/C trade and he's arranged a "mates price" Lithium battery which is comming special delivery from Holand and should be here tomorrow.

I am very against sealed batteries - always have been as ime in Spain they dry out. I always crack the cover plate off the 4WD batteries and top up with distilled water as Chemistry always intended.

I think the Triumph is anti-Brexit. maybe it's the kmh clocks!

Anyway it did mean that yesterday my mummy let me go off with a strange man in his car to see some puppies.
OK I do know him but believe me he is strange. No sweeties but I did get curry.

Watching him and his wife cleaning up after 9 Great Dane pups and 3 adults had me in stiches at one point.
So there was a silver lining.

if you haven't already up grade your Pos and Neg cables down to starter made a massive difference have also since switched to a 600cc Lithium battery SSB it is part # LH16CL-B and wow does that spin the motor over, I only had 1 bad incident with it, last month after some extremely cold weather and busy schedule mean't I hadn't ridden the bike for 6 weeks (yes it was agony) I did not have bike tender on and came out to find the Lith' battery dead flat hooked it up to my 8 stage Ctek charger and it would not even recognize it (I thought OH SH!T I wasted $370 on this Lithium Battery) checked and there was only 1 volt in battery so I hooked it up to my OLD 1970's simple charger and it started to charge, so after about 15 minute I retried the fancy Ctek again and this time it recognized that there was battery and proceeded to charge it and it (the battery)has worked flawless since.
Morale of the story is don't throw out your old fashioned chargers and if you aren't going to ride for a awhile connect the Tender

Last edited:
Back