barbagris

Mad Scientist
Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
I have been ordered to stay away from computers as much as possible.

Not because of my "demons" but I have aggravated my right hand carpal tunnel and a series of shoulder tendons (no tittering in the back row!) - Went to see the doctors (workers comp' hospital) yesterday and they've said it's 90% due to seating position and "mouse" use. RSI. To avoid inflaming (pun intended) the situation - and because I need to have my arm fully fit for my UK run - I have to follow their advice.

The only reason I've not been taken off work is that in the coming two weeks before my hol's I only have 4 full working days ( and they're only 6 hours each) due to local holidays where I work. Plus I would then also be declared unfit to manage machinery - so no driving or riding. And they were sympathetic to my need to be able to drive.

End Sept I'll be back. Been told I have to go for walks and swim as much as possible.

Well, that's quite unfortunate Barbagris. Wish you a quick and thorough recovery, hopefully your still allowed to ride!!

Last edited:
Get a touchpad. It's a pain in the rearr for several months to adjust compared to flicking a mouse around, but once you get used to it it's pretty decent. Plus - you put it in front of you which alters how you hold your hand and shoulder.

A proper ergonomic keyboard (a split model with serious tenting) and a touchpad saved my hands, basically. Been symptom free for over a decade.

Kinesis Corporation

I still say a touchpad is better. It alters your arm, shoulder and wrist angle much more than a mouse.

Or, a vertical mouse where your hand is rotated 90 degrees. Something that changes a lot from the average mousing position.

Back