Dammit to hell (bad week for motorcycle tires)

Willtill

Nitrous
So after taking care of the screw in my Visions rear tire (with a plugging kit); I retired the Vision for a couple of week so I could concentrate on my Hell on Wheels... whom hasn't had a spirited ride in a couple of weeks.

We made good miles today; and he responded most excellent on turns and "Holy Mother Of Acceleration" standing launches at red lights. :lol:

Coming home and as I always do... I went over every inch of my Rocket; and to my dismay (again) I found a nice cut in the center line of the Bridgestone Excedra Max mounted on the rear.

What is puzzling about this cut (or knife slice maybe) is that it's at a 45 degree angle to the middle tread. If I had actually ran over something on the road, I would of expected it to be at a 90 angle into the tread.

Does this look like a knife cut to any of you....?

I did visit a Harley Davidson dealer today... and am wondering.... ???? If someone....

But also, something that has popped up on the local radar; one of my VFW buddies is suspecting that someone at the post is sabotaging our bikes; He has had unexplained damage to his Harley; and I normally park where he parks... and we do have some members whom light up where the bikes are at outside... sometimes by themselves... At any rate... I'll figure that one out...

Below are are pic's of my rear Excedra that Hell on Wheels is shod with; the cut is a little over 2" in length; the deepest depth of the cut is at the top (meaning that portion of the tire would hit the pavement first) and the depth of the cut slightly tapers off at the bottom (in depth).

The cut is also into the tread at a 45 degree angle (from how you can see the feeler gauge is positioned into it). Also, the depth of the cut is marked on the tip of the feeler gauge (to the left of the black magic marker mark).

So while the cut seems to be deep on the tip of the feeler gauge; it's angled into the tread. Probing the cut does not seem to reveal any damage to the cords/belts of the carcass.

So my question is, should I consider replacing this tire, or should that cut be expected to wear down as the tire wears down overall? I'm really wanting to get a little more out of this Bridgestone; it is at half life regarding the available tread.

what length shocks ya running?..could it have been from screw on the underside of the fender when ya hit a bump?..

Got those bone jarring OEM shocks that are set to 1. There's nothing underneath the rear fender that could have done that. I've been under there when I wired my Rivco short stalk rear turn signals. Nothing there to cut the tire like that during compression of the rear suspension. and the cut is at a 45 degree angle

If yer tyre aint flat,I'd say your fine. Prise the slit open a little & superglue it shut.Will wear as normal.Does it look like a box cutter attack? Weeeell..... if I were gonna cut a tyre, I'd attack the side wall, not the centre.

If yer tyre aint flat,I'd say your fine. Prise the slit open a little & superglue it shut.Will wear as normal.Does it look like a box cutter attack? Weeeell..... if I were gonna cut a tyre, I'd attack the side wall, not the centre.

It is a fine slit; could have been a razor... or something razorlike. The angle of the cut perplexes me.

I was going to do the Superglue thing but instead opted for rubber cement. Has some of that Hi Temp RTV gasket maked (the red stuff) on hand as well...

Of course this rear tire heats up pretty good; I am hoping the that ribber cement at least provided a little binding action withing the interior of the cut; maybe the heat will help with that.

I'm going to take it easy today on it; and periodically check the cut. If I see it widening or lengthening; I'm going to either get a Riken Raptor or another Bridgestone Exedera Max. I really like the fact that the Bridgestone's tread is thicker in the centerline of the tread. If this was a Metzler; there is no question that I would have already decided to replace it.

Back