Dam they Let Another In

HansO

Not Taking Life Too Seriously
Ride
08 Rocket III R.I.P now TEX Triumph Explorer
Just kidding really, just had a Phone call from my good Mate and member here Mal @The Kiwi that at he has sat the Test and passed to become a Australian Citzen so apart from the pomp and ceremony when they Offically give him his Certificate he is officially an Aussie.
Congratulations Mal you are now a True Blue Aussie!!!

Congratulations Mal, but I feel a bit silly saying welcome to someone who has been here 20+ years already.
What was the hardest question in the stupid citizenship test - How many 'O's and 'L's in Woolloomooloo?

Luckily there was no test in the 1960's hey @HansO , or you might still be riding bicycles past windmills wearing clogs.;):p:D

And Mal doesn't have to give up his avatar or birthright either unlike our infamous 'doggie bully' and now ex-Kiwi Deputy PM Barnaby Joyce. Another good reason to never become a federal pollie Mal. ;):D

I got one of those pretty coloured citizenship certificates too in the 1980's when the Govt decided that as I was born in Papua New Guinea to Australian parents when it was an Australian Trust Territory and despite having travelled the world on an Australian Passport for 10+ years that I needed a certificate to say I was an Aussie from the day of my birth.:confused:

The craziest time was back in the 'White Australia Policy' days where to prevent immigration of coloured or any other undesirable the Immigration Officers could give them a language test on entry. But the language was anything they chose so even if the person spoke perfect English with a BBC accent they could give them a test in Croatian, Latin or even Inuit so they could fail them and bar entry. The sad thing is the latest proposed language test is similar requiring a University level written English exam which many Australians would fail themselves. :confused:
Some of the greatest Aussies arrived here without a word of English and have gone on to amazing careers in science, business, arts and philanthropy. Many original indigenous Australians in remote communities still only speak English as their 3rd to 5th language and understandably fairly rudimentary at that and we only gave even the perfect English speaking ones citizenship in 1967. Prior to that they were considered 'fauna' and were not even counted in the Population Census. :confused:

Congratulations Mal, but I feel a bit silly saying welcome to someone who has been here 20+ years already.
What was the hardest question in the stupid citizenship test - How many 'O's and 'L's in Woolloomooloo?

Luckily there was no test in the 1960's hey @HansO , or you might still be riding bicycles past windmills wearing clogs.;):p:D

And Mal doesn't have to give up his avatar or birthright either unlike our infamous 'doggie bully' and now ex-Kiwi Deputy PM Barnaby Joyce. Another good reason to never become a federal pollie Mal. ;):D

I got one of those pretty coloured citizenship certificates too in the 1980's when the Govt decided that as I was born in Papua New Guinea to Australian parents when it was an Australian Trust Territory and despite having travelled the world on an Australian Passport for 10+ years that I needed a certificate to say I was an Aussie from the day of my birth.:confused:

The craziest time was back in the 'White Australia Policy' days where to prevent immigration of coloured or any other undesirable the Immigration Officers could give them a language test on entry. But the language was anything they chose so even if the person spoke perfect English with a BBC accent they could give them a test in Croatian, Latin or even Inuit so they could fail them and bar entry. The sad thing is the latest proposed language test is similar requiring a University level written English exam which many Australians would fail themselves. :confused:
Some of the greatest Aussies arrived here without a word of English and have gone on to amazing careers in science, business, arts and philanthropy. Many original indigenous Australians in remote communities still only speak English as their 3rd to 5th language and understandably fairly rudimentary at that and we only gave even the perfect English speaking ones citizenship in 1967. Prior to that they were considered 'fauna' and were not even counted in the Population Census. :confused:
Truth be known I would possibly not be Alive today as the main reason we came to Auss was because as a infant I was very ill with a form of Asthma Bronchitis which Doctors at the time would more than likely get worse unless I was taken to a warmer climate.
At he Time Australia was encouraging skilled workers to emigrate so my Parents took advantage of this the rest is history, also while I never claim to be scholar in english and grammar, I have other talents :):whitstling:

Last edited:
Yea' so I heard :) Congrats Mal, but you'll always be a KIWI :thumbsup:
Nope he lost that when he passed his Aussie citizenship:eek: have never understood why people will use --African/American, Mexican/American, Korean/American etc etc etc both my kids were born in Los Angeles USA and if I ever heard them call themselves Scottish/American I would kick them so hard up and down the street they would not sit for a month, once you take another country's citizenship that is who you belong to.
Now our very own Ian(IDK) is one really confused cookie:D
Anyhoo congrats on becoming an Australian I know you will do them proud.

Nope he lost that when he passed his Aussie citizenship:eek: have never understood why people will use --African/American, Mexican/American, Korean/American etc etc etc both my kids were born in Los Angeles USA and if I ever heard them call themselves Scottish/American I would kick them so hard up and down the street they would not sit for a month, once you take another country's citizenship that is who you belong to.
Now our very own Ian(IDK) is one really confused cookie:D
Anyhoo congrats on becoming an Australian I know you will do them proud.

Not even in the good ol' USA anymore - dual citizenship is allowed now in the US, Australia and many other countries. Seven of our current Federal politicians are before the High Court here now (three are/were and still are Govt cabinet members, including our Deputy PM Joyce), awaiting a decision on their dual citizenship status which is still barred for members of parliament under our constitution. With the Govt only having a one seat majority it is a ridiculous situation and will not be resolved until next month at the earliest.

But you can keep Rupert Murdoch, he gave up his Aussie citizenship, when you still had to for US citizenship, as he wanted to take over the world instead of just Australia and the UK.
He started by getting both Liberal and Labor Govts elected here to suit his then current business objectives. Then did the same in the UK before finally screwing you all in the USA too and now you poor buggers have Fox News considered the center-right media, allowing Breitbart and co to cater for the neo fascists and fellow travelers*.

*I can't resist banging hard on the hornet's nest like a pinanta ;):p:D:rolleyes::whitstling::whitstling:

Back