Dakota Gid MCV - 7400 on R3

GDM R3

Standard Bore
Ride
R3
Hi Everyone. New to this forum but been riding all my life and only had R3's since 2004. I had one of the first batch of R3's in Australia. I have had my current R3 since 2010. Has anyone put a Dekota Digital MCV -7400 on this model Rocket. I searched high and low in Aus and keep running into brick walls everyone saying they can't map it with the CANBUS system of this Model Rocket....I've got the electrics map for the R3 and the MCV.

Anyone got information/advice suggestions???????

They are correct. Only the earlier model R3's can use the Dakota or other similar. The Roadsters on have a completely incompatible system. Same with the stock speedo cluster instrument.

RHS under the R3 image on any forum page - Search for 'Dakota' and 'Koso' posted by @barbagris

e.g.
- An R+D Thread - Different instruments.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone. New to this forum but been riding all my life and only had R3's since 2004. I had one of the first batch of R3's in Australia. I have had my current R3 since 2010. Has anyone put a Dekota Digital MCV -7400 on this model Rocket. I searched high and low in Aus and keep running into brick walls everyone saying they can't map it with the CANBUS system of this Model Rocket....I've got the electrics map for the R3 and the MCV.

Thanks for that Ishrub....sorry about that...I don't know what I'm doing haven't been on these sites.

Basically as Pete says - You're stuffed. Pre-Roadster are free of such encumbrance. Roadster and iirc the T have CANBUS. This requires a decoder (basically a very simple computer) in any device connected to intercept, decode and re-emit signals in the BUS.

The only real option would to be relocate the original speedo somewhere hidden and connect up the Dakota using an alternative speed sensor (GPS would be an idea) - But without the ORIGINAL speedo connected the CANBUS bikes will not start. Until some electro-genius comes up with a CANBUS fooling device.

Worth noting that with Euro5 - there comes an obligation to use OBD2 on M/C. This means the use of GENERIC OBD2 devices. The R3 has OBD1(and a bit). There will however be other encumbrances to individuality.

But you can rewire your Roadster with a pre Roadster ECU and wiring loom to match the earlier instruments lots of work and no ABS. :(:confused::eek:;):D

Just use your going stock one or if it is buggered buy another.

and no ABS.
I am old school.
Through accident of birth I seem able (still?) to not lock wheels even in torrential rain or on ice. Didn't say I like it, but ..........................

imo - ABS is simply an excuse for not riding appropriately to the prevailing conditions. So is Traction Control .. lane monitoring .. blind spot warnings ..

tbh the day I feel I can't ride appropriately - I'll stop. And equally as honestly - that day is NOT decades away.

I am old school.
Through accident of birth I seem able (still?) to not lock wheels even in torrential rain or on ice. Didn't say I like it, but ..........................

imo - ABS is simply an excuse for not riding appropriately to the prevailing conditions. So is Traction Control .. lane monitoring .. blind spot warnings ..

tbh the day I feel I can't ride appropriately - I'll stop. And equally as honestly - that day is NOT decades away.
You would make a fortune if you wrote a book titled useless things to have on a Motorbike:D I could start off the first few for you
#1-ear plugs-what is the point -then leave about four empty pages so the reader can enter some remarks
#2-ABS brakes- why have a potentially life saving device on a motorbike?-- then leave about five empty pages .

Now my suggestion would be

#1- gear indicator-why the hell does a bike need a gear indicator, if you do not know what gear you are in by the feel of the bike something is wrong
#2- Fuel gauge- most of them are effin useless so why have them
#3 GPS/music, french tickler all devices that distract a rider

You would make a fortune if you wrote a book titled useless things to have on a Motorbike:D I could start off the first few for you
#1-ear plugs-what is the point -then leave about four empty pages so the reader can enter some remarks
#2-ABS brakes- why have a potentially life saving device on a motorbike?-- then leave about five empty pages .

Most useless or dangerous thing on a motorcycle? - In general! - The rider. Not me, obviously, I am a God!.

Ban the buggers - then all bikes will be safe (well unless they fall on you maliciously and with aforethought - which they have been known to do).

But no French Tickler! - Them's fightin' words. Ooo ders noht wahnt to tikel a Frehnshmen? Ohn! - Ze geegel zo.

Back