Cycle World article

Wadejesu

Supercharged
Ride
R3 TFC #391
I need more practice
Times.jpg

The Cycle World Article reads:
"139 thousandths of a second from the Triumph's initial elapsed time?
That's a bike length at the end of a quarter-mile, absolute domination in an actual race."

I question this writer's comments. I believe the writer likely just used the simple formula D=VT.
D=186.81 fps (127.37 mph) times .137 second=25.5 feet.
1) The MC speed of 127.37 mph was not constant.
2) The acceleration rate was variable throughout the 1320 feet.
3) The average acceleration rate would be: the ending Velocity squared minus the initial Velocity squared divided by 2 times the distance.
With the initial Velocity being 0, the acceleration rate would then be 186.81 fps squared divided by (.139 sec times 1320 feet).
acceleration rate = 13.22 fps squared.
4) Distance = initial velocity times time plus one half the acceleration rate times the time squared.
With the initial Velocity being 0, the distance would then be .5 times 13.22 fps squared times .139 second squared.
The actual distance over .139 second would then be .128 foot or 1.5 inches.

The above is not accurate enough and incorrect.
Please see the following post #40 that has the correct calculations.

Last edited:
That's a bike length at the end of a quarter-mile, absolute domination in an actual race."

I question this writer's comments. I believe the writer likely just used the simple formula D=VT.
3) The average acceleration rate would be: the ending Velocity squared minus the initial Velocity squared divided by 2 times the distance.
With the initial Velocity being 0, the acceleration rate would then be 186.81 fps squared divided by (.139 sec times 1320 feet).
4) Distance = initial velocity times time plus one half the acceleration rate times the time squared.
With the initial Velocity being 0, the distance would then be .5 times 13.22 fps squared times .139 second squared.
Hardly a bike length.

I do not subscribe to Cycle World, but if you would be so kind to post the entire article, author and the mag editor's email, I'd be happy to write them.
Not really able to follow all the maths, but if your final conclusion is correct, then if you were 1.39 seconds slower over a standing quarter, then you’d only be 15 inches behind, and my gut feeling is you’d be way further back than that.

Hardly a bike length.

I do not subscribe to Cycle World, but if you would be so kind to post the entire article, author and the mag editor's email, I'd be happy to write them.
Every racer I've ever heard talk about shaving a tenth off a 1/4 mile says it's about a car length.

Every racer I've ever heard talk about shaving a tenth off a 1/4 mile says it's about a car length.

I'll vouch for that at those times. I've been there / done that bracket racing in cars; winning and losing by estimating opponent's reaction and et while trying to decide if I should take the stripe or not. You can shave a few hundredths by dragging the brake, coming off the loud pedal is worth a few 1/10s.

1/10 is about a car length. Also acceleration is not constant throughout the 1/4, and acceleration lessens significantly throughout the 1/4.

Assuming 850 lbs with rider. ET showing about 140 hp and mph is showing 135 hp

Not really able to follow all the maths, but if your final conclusion is correct, then if you were 1.39 seconds slower over a standing quarter, then you’d only be 15 inches behind, and my gut feeling is you’d be way further back than that.

Run your own number of 1.39 second.
.5 x 13.22 x 1.39 sq = 12.77 feet
That would actually yield a distance closer to a "bike length".

WRONG.

Please following post #40 with the correct calculations.

Last edited:
At a constant speed of 100 mph over any distance you move 147 feet a second and in .1 second, 14.7 feet (about a car length).
At a constant speed of 200 mph, 293 feet in a second and 29 feet in .1 second.
That .1 second distance is dependant on the time, velocity & acceleration over a given distance, quarter mile or whatever.
There's nothing constant in the acceleration of a vehicle. Here's a clip of a 8.8 vs 9.68 that's a .88 difference which by your calculations on the Rocket's time (I know different speed, but close enough for me) would be 9.71 inches. Looks a bit further to me.

Back