Cutting Sissy Bar?

Loanstar

.060 Over
Hey,

So I got a Corbin Dual Tour seat today. I have the Triumph short sissy bar on my bike now and would love to put the included Corbin backrest on in its place, but I don't want to lose my luggage rack. I need it for ummm, luggage. It looks to me like the Triumph sissy bar posts need to be in place with the bolts and the rack in order to make the rack a solid structure. I was thinking of cutting the posts down but this means I'd be dstroying a perfectly good sissy bar.

Any ideas? I'm not the most handy guy but I wonder about buying some square pipe and cutting two lengths to serve as spacers between the bolts and the luggage rack. Either that, or I buy the tall sissy bar and forego the Corbin rest. The one that matches the seat looks pretty nice though.

Have any of you managed to find a way to keep your luggage rack and use it in combination with the Corbin backrest in the passenger position?

Thanks!

If it is the Triumph set up that I have. You should be able to just use shorter bolts.

Just do what I did. Weld all the Triumph sissybar bits together. You need to be an bloody octopus to put it together without scratching your backguard anyway. Then just chop off the sissybar bit .. keep your rack that way.

In my set up, I would use shorter bolts. I don't knot about other set ups.
No cutting or welding:D

P1020964.jpg

P1020962.jpg

And before any smart arse says I need to clean the bike (I ***n know:D)

Think he wants to remove the Triumph 'sissybar' but keep the rack .. unless I misunderstood the post. Wants to use the Corbin pillion backrest instead of the Triumph one .. I think :eek:

I welded the sissybar to the two side plates. Be easy to just cut off the sissybar and still be able to bolt/weld the rack onto the sideplates.

Thanks for the pics. I see that you still have the sissybar posts though. I need to eliminate mine. A shorter bolt might still work. I'll try it out and worse case is it'll cost me a few bucks for 4 bolts.

Back