CamaroCarl

Get busy living or get busy dying.
Ride
2018 rocket3 roadster
Really like my Corbin seat, but since I changed my rear fender to the shorter fiberglass one I didn't feel like it looked right. Would like to get a Corbin fastgun or solo seat instead of the touring seat (wife doesn't really ever ride with me anymore), but hate to spend the $500 for a new one. So I still had my stock seat just sitting there doing nothing, so I decided to shave it down and make it more comfortable. Stock seat is really soft and you sit more on top of the bike, harder time getting feet on the ground. I pulled the staples from sides and back, left front attached, and peeled the cover back. Also removed the plastic ductwork from bottom. I used a drywall saw to remove some foam, then a sander to smooth and shape it more. I would remove some, try it, remove some more, try it again, ended up removing quite a bit. Kind of used the Corbin as a template for what I wanted. Put the cover back on and restapled it. Was my first time ever trying to shape a seat, but I think it turned out pretty good. It's a lot lighter than the Corbin also. Might try to make a luggage rack out of pillion seat. Real test will be long ride and see if my ass hurts.

IMAG0696.jpg
IMAG0697.jpg
IMAG0701.jpg
IMAG0703.jpg
IMAG0707.jpg
IMAG0708.jpg
IMAG0710.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Turned out great but you should have covered it in fiberglass to make it rock hard like a Corbin before you put the skin back on.;):D:whitstling:

A word of CAUTION. Depending on your personal body weight.

Removing the snorkel allows the seat pan to flex quite a bit more. Makes it more comfy for sure but make sure it cant crush any wires and short something.

Really like my Corbin seat, but since I changed my rear fender to the shorter fiberglass one I didn't feel like it looked right. Would like to get a Corbin fastgun or solo seat instead of the touring seat (wife doesn't really ever ride with me anymore), but hate to spend the $500 for a new one. So I still had my stock seat just sitting there doing nothing, so I decided to shave it down and make it more comfortable. Stock seat is really soft and you sit more on top of the bike, harder time getting feet on the ground. I pulled the staples from sides and back, left front attached, and peeled the cover back. Also removed the plastic ductwork from bottom. I used a drywall saw to remove some foam, then a sander to smooth and shape it more. I would remove some, try it, remove some more, try it again, ended up removing quite a bit. Kind of used the Corbin as a template for what I wanted. Put the cover back on and restapled it. Was my first time ever trying to shape a seat, but I think it turned out pretty good. It's a lot lighter than the Corbin also. Might try to make a luggage rack out of pillion seat. Real test will be long ride and see if my ass hurts.
IMAG0696.jpg
IMAG0697.jpg
IMAG0701.jpg
IMAG0703.jpg
IMAG0696.jpg
IMAG0697.jpg
IMAG0701.jpg
IMAG0703.jpg
IMAG0707.jpg
IMAG0708.jpg
IMAG0710.jpg

Good job. Are you keeping the Corbin or is it going for sale?

Turned out great but you should have covered it in fiberglass to make it rock hard like a Corbin before you put the skin back on.;):D:whitstling:
Is that how they make them so hard? Really is surprising how the harder seat is more comfortable than the soft one. I did wonder if if I should spray something on the foam to seal it, keep it from breaking down.

A word of CAUTION. Depending on your personal body weight.

Removing the snorkel allows the seat pan to flex quite a bit more. Makes it more comfy for sure but make sure it cant crush any wires and short something.
Good advice. I just figured it was unnecessary and extra weight, didn't really check to see if it would hurt anything.

Good job. Are you keeping the Corbin or is it going for sale?
For now I'm still keeping it. Want to be able to go back to it if I need to. But maybe down the road if I end up not using it I would sell it.

Is that how they make them so hard? Really is surprising how the harder seat is more comfortable than the soft one. I did wonder if if I should spray something on the foam to seal it, keep it from breaking down.
No they just use a very hard and heavy expanding foam for theirs but noted for their lack of 'give' that makes them so comfortable for long trips.

IMAG0696.jpg
IMAG0697.jpg
IMAG0701.jpg
IMAG0703.jpg
IMAG0707.jpg
IMAG0708.jpg
IMAG0710.jpg
Great idea, I took the air duct out too just recently after installing ramair....but you gave me a good idea about foam....I wonder some gel material can makeup for the loss of foam?????

Back