Custom 18" Wheels

bryon540

.060 Over
Looking to get a set of custom wheels here soon.

Who is making them for the R3? Would like to go wide (280/300) as possible. Yes I did a search for this.

A couple of years ago this is what they told me:

Any of our Level I and Level II wheels on products page can be made to fit your bike. We are currently still working on our first set...getting all fitment issues taken care of. Will hopefully have some pics up within the next couple weeks. The sizes are going to be slightly different from stock as the rear wheel size does not exist in the aftermarket world. We are working on a set of 18 inch replacements. An 18x8.5 rear which would accept the Avon or Metzler 250 and 240 tires...the front we can leave as stock 17x3.5 or run the 18x3.5. The tires all have slightly lower profiles making up for the difference in larger wheel diameter as to fit under stock fenders. We will have everything finished up in the week or two...complete with recommended tire sizes. Expect prices to range from 2300.00 to 2600.00 for both wheels depending on pattern.

I can't find an email for Egotripp but here is their address and phone.

610 28th Street
Lubbock
Texas
TX 79404
USA

Phone: (806) 741 1166 Fax: (806) 741 1814

As far as BST there were some issues with fitment because of changes Triumph made between model years. They seemed to have good response to the issue. I have also read about wobble with them, but not sure if it was attributed to the wheels or tire setup.

I've contacted RiderRocketMan on this one ... he was using BST carbon fiber wheels (was as in his was that 231hp bike sold on eBay a few days ago that someone linked to). Seems they cost around $4k. Ouch.
These are the tires he has used on it (dark side), Bridgestone Potenza, Goodyear Eagle F1, and Yokohama 245/45ZR18.
He said that he didn't need to make changes for the rims, but did need 1/2" higher shocks for those tires and suggested something slimmer like a 235/50 or 225/55 if trying to avoid that.

I just go off the phone with ET wheels, they are no longer ET, nor do they manufacture motorcycle wheels.:mad:

It looks like BST carbon wheels are the only choice for now??? I gave a US distributor a call about these BST wheels, they were stating they will fit 2005 to 2007 R3’s.

The big ? is will a wheel from a 2005/7 work on a 2009 or 2010 R3?? I would think it would work as much of the parts are interchangeable from year to year.

Any other wheel company manufacture custom motorcycle wheels for the R3?

Beware ET wheels, a friend has some and is not impressed with what appear to be signs of stress, mostly on the rear. His is modded, but not severely.

No problems reported with BST wheels, most of which are fitted to heavily modified bikes, 250 to 300 bhp.

There are no longer issues with the BST wheels. The first run had an issue with the spacers being wrong for pre 07 R3s. This resulted in the front being 3mm off centre on the earlier bikes (although quite a few people had done thousands of miles on them before Les spotted the issue when fitting his). There are now two setts of spacers shipped with each wheel to cope with both front spindles. I have a front, and am saving for the rear.

Even with just a front the bike turns in so much easier I nearly threw it on its side the first time out after fitting it. :cool:

Contact Gary at BST;

Gary@blackstonetek.com

They're not cheap, but they are beautiful, and functional;

Hey Joker, that is just bad ass.

The rear BST wheel is a 18X8.5 what would be the max width tire for this rear rim size for a R3??

How low of a profile of a tire can one use??

I am not looking to go to the dark side at any time, so I wondering if I would have more tire choices in this size?

Do you think these wheels will fit a 2010 R3R?

Would the front fender need to be moved up to clear the top of the tire?

One more? When mounting a tire on a CF rim, what caution should a tire shop take into account when mounting a tire on this??

If my home sells I am buying a set of these ASAP.;)

Hi Bryon,

I can't answer most of your questions, especially about the rear, coz I haven't got one yet.

The two bikes on the right here both have BST 18" wheels. Les had a spare front tyre when I bought my wheel because he had a wider one, as you can see, so he had the tyre fitted for me. He will be able to give you details of fitting tips and tyre choices for the rear. PM Trirocket3 on the .com.

I do know that the tyre choices of bike tyres are so much better with 18" rims. Diablos seem to be popular. I have one on the front, but they don't make a front tyre wide enough, so you have to fit one designed for the rear, but make sure you fit it with the arrow indicating rotation pointing the "wrong" way!!

Rob has done a cracking job of his too.

When I'm out with these guys mine doesn't get a second glance. :( :) :)

Back