Triple Trouble

The Duk of death
Orchard Beach. Ont. Canada , London England
Ride
'05 Rocket III '73 Norton Commando 65 Norton Atlas
Has anybody changed their rear wheel cush drive rubber? I have noticed an increase in driveline slop lately and the last time I had the wheel off it seemed loose. The splines are well greased and in good condition. '05 with update kit, approx. 75k km.

If your asking if they are easy to change Paul they are. Just pull the snap ring and the hub comes right out. Then you just slip the new set in. I bought a set a while ago to have in stock just in case. They are all attached in one piece, easy job. :D

Has anybody changed their rear wheel cush drive rubber? I have noticed an increase in driveline slop lately and the last time I had the wheel off it seemed loose. The splines are well greased and in good condition. '05 with update kit, approx. 75k km.

It's a shame when things get old and sloppy :rolleyes:

hummm, fnscotsman just posted his 2014 has NO drive line slop. I wonder if they changed something, cause my 2013 HAS slop. Mine had about 30 miles on it when I bought it. Was no doubt demo'd a few times, and you know how that goes. I was also wondering about the cush drive rubbers?:confused:

I have had my R3 roadster for a year and love it. I do ride with a group and often have to back off the throttle and then engage rather quickly. There is a slight lag and a jerk to the power when reapplied. I am hoping that this is what is referred to as 'Slop'. I am reasonably handy and would like to get to the bottom of it. Is it common for the Cush drive to take up the change in torque and allow more smooth transition from no throttle to quickly applied throttle? Does anyone have info on how to replace them?
thank you.

More likely your feeling the torsional damper in the transmission. It provides a little "give" in the driveline to take some of the stress off the moving parts.

IMG_20180316_200333.jpg

Strange subject. Just to add: I also have 2, 2005 models, and they both have LESS slop than my 2013 !!!??? The cush drive rubbers just slip in and out, after you remove the big snap ring, that holds the drive spline in the wheel. I've had them out of all my 3 Rockets, when changing tires/wheels, and have not noticed any wear, either time. I know on some bikes, people sometimes swap the rubber for delrin, or poly, but with the triangle shape of the Rocket cush rubbers, it'd be difficult. I don't think we'd ever get rid of all the slop, but less would be very nice!:)

Back