Martin Wilber

.020 Over
Ride
rocket iii touring, sprint st 955
Went for a little ride yesterday with my better half on the back. We went from Newport down to Maysville on route 8 along the Ohio river. It was a beautiful an uneventful ride until we came back. She was complaining that her arse was numb and needed to stop for a minute.

I decided I would just stop at a wide spot on the road. BIG mistake. The shoulder was roughly paved and uneven . We stopped I put my foot down and there was no ground.

By the time my foot found the ground the bike was too far over. My poor leg could not hold 1300 lbs of colllective weight up (motorcycle and two pudgy riders).

I just had to let it go. My wife was dumped on the ground and scraped up her elbow pretty good.
I did not go with it.

The important thing is the bike was unharmed and I was able to pick it up. Not something I would like to do more then once. The bike laid over neatly on the crash bars and did not let anything get damaged.

That was the beginning of long ride home due to big thunderstorms. We made it home with minor scrapes on the wife and no marks on the rocket.

I was one that didn't want saddlebags, windshield, or crash bars on my bike. It would lose it's muscle bike appearance. Well slowly I have added all three. lol

Glad everyone is ok and the crash bars worked.

Goodonya for having the engine guards!
Was a fellow on here a few years ago that laid over his Roadster on a curve.
He was fine, but the shift side of the crankcase had a hole torn in it and was ruined!!!

Glad it worked out not too bad for you. Make sure that you give the wifey some attention as well as the bike. ;)

Maybe the wife should "drive" next time??? Just kidding. I've laid a Sportster down and I've laid a Kingpin down. The Sportster was easy to get up. The Kingpin was much harder. I hope I never have to lift my R3T up off the ground.

Maybe the wife should "drive" next time??? Just kidding. I've laid a Sportster down and I've laid a Kingpin down. The Sportster was easy to get up. The Kingpin was much harder. I hope I never have to lift my R3T up off the ground.

There are techniques to lift a heavy cruiser that anyone can do . . .

There are techniques to lift a heavy cruiser that anyone can do . . .

As some of you know I have two other bikes with V8 (small block chevys) in them. I sell the V8 Choppers in the western states. Many times I'm asked what you do if it falls over. I tell them that I simply pick it back up and show them hoe to do it. I'm 73 years old I tell them so if I can do it than they ought to be able. The technique is to turn the front forks all the way in the direction you want to lift the bike in and hold on the front brake. Lift the bike by the handlebar closest to the ground, the bike will kind of roll to an upright position. The V8 bike weighs about a thousand pounds.
MY CHOPPER.jpg

Back