Cranberry Red Touch Up Paint Color

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
So I notice a small scratch (actually more of a small gouge) on the side of my pannier on my new Rocket. I didn't notice it when I picked up the bike but when I looked at some of the posted eBay pictures it was there when I bought the bike. Anyway, I was going to try to touch it up so I ordered some touch up paint from the Triumph eStore. When I got the paint, I discovered it was all dried up in the container. They are going to send me another one so that is now on the way.

So here are some questions:

The problem with Cranberry Red is it changes color depending on how the light hits it and I was wondering if anyone have had any luck with that particular Triumph touch up paint? Has anyone found a stock car color that is a better match than what comes in that little touch up container?

I notice a Toyota that looked like it was the same color as my bike so I went to the auto store to see if I could find a match. After trying several colors it appears that a Chrysler color called "Inferno Red Metallic" is pretty close when lightly applied on a silver base. Im going to do a test paint match when I get the cranberry red touch up paint. My plan is to carefully mask around the gouge, put down a silver base in the gouge first, then the color (whatever color looks closest), and finally use some actual spray clear coat. Removing and remasking between each step.

I'm good at painting from scratch but not so much trying to touch things up with a tricky color like cranberry red. Any of you guys a knowledgeable dent an scratch repair person? Any advice?

Back