couple of electrical problems

BigWillie

Supercharged
Ride
08 R3 Touring, HD Dyna
I recently had a couple of electrical problems come up. First my neutral indicator only comes on occasionally. This keeps me from being able to start the bike and let it warm up while I get my gear on, unless I want to sit and hold the bike up. Next, every time I wash it the check engine light comes on. It will stay on for a while then go off then come back on. I can't find anything wrong anywhere.
I guess my question is has anyone else run into these issues and what might be causing them? My dealer has already ordered a new neutral switch, but the check engine light is starting to bug me.

The first time the engine light came on I was at my bro's house when I went down for Bike week. We washed the bikes and my light came on when we left. I checked the oil and water levels and they were fine. Bike was cold when it happened. It went out a while later after I had shut it down while someone was gassing up for our ride. It stayed out the rest of the day then came on again when I was heading home. Went out for a while then came on again. Keeps doing it and I can't figure out why. MY brake light sticks sometimes also. I just don't know when that happens. I am going to take it to Jeff for the neutral indicator but I don't want to have to leave it for a week while they check out the other things. All this happened right after I did the customer survey from Triumph about how I liked the bike.

You might prop the gas tank up and remove the side covers and pull the wiring harness connectors apart and put some dielectric grease in them.

Jeff will make it good I know you have had issues with your bike but to be honest after hearing it now I dont have the foggiest idea. A loose connection could be to blame or as you mention water could be the issue I have yet to have any problem I am hoping that it remains that way I love the bike but if I get too many problems I will have to drop it and get another so far all problems I am to blame just a simple fix but I am a freak for any problems to be fixed asap

I checked them Saturday and they were all still good to go for that. I can't find anything that might be wrong with it. I guess I need some type of computer program and a cable to attach the bike to my laptop so I can diagnois (I can't spell) these problems. Maybe something that will help me make it perform better also. (practicing my excuses to buy the Tuneboy for when my wife ask).

Two more reasons-- there is a group buy going on and the value of the dollar compared to the AU dollar makes it an even better deal right now.:D

Jeff will make it good I know you have had issues with your bike but to be honest after hearing it now I dont have the foggiest idea. A loose connection could be to blame or as you mention water could be the issue I have yet to have any problem I am hoping that it remains that way I love the bike but if I get too many problems I will have to drop it and get another so far all problems I am to blame just a simple fix but I am a freak for any problems to be fixed asap

I am not to worried about it. I know Jeff will make it good no matter what it is. I just don't want to have to leave the bike there for a week while they check it out. It is my main transportation and it is a long trip to make twice in a car. Don't mind riding up there, just having to drive back then drive back up to ride home. Three hours in a car is 2 hours and 45 minutes longer than I am comfortable.

I know I cant stand not to see her when I am at work a couple of weeks ago I was worried I had to put her on a trailer to go up there but I know a fix will make you feel better about riding

Why not just stop by your local auto parts store and have them use their code reader on it? It works just like a car does. You can then at least get an idea what system has the loose wire.

Back