Coolant Reservoir Modification

JamiePT

.060 Over
Ride
Triumph Rocket Roadster 2014
Are you tired of no being able to see through the side of your coolant reservoir?

upload_2018-3-6_15-6-0.jpg

Here is mine being held aloft with the New Mexico sun behind it. I don't know how anyone is supposed to see through this thing in dark merry olde England.

upload_2018-3-6_15-12-29.jpg

One hole drilled in the bottom.
upload_2018-3-6_15-17-18.jpg

Plumbing supply 1/4 inch connector with high heat silicone.
upload_2018-3-6_15-18-41.jpg

Brass fitting on the high side.

upload_2018-3-6_15-19-57.jpg

Painted flat black now that I don't even have to pretend to see through it.

More pictures to follow after mounting.

A very field expedient modification, Jamie! :thumbsup:
Just FYI -
Many of us have crap-canned the OEM puke tank in order to gain extra room under the Bearclaw/Ozclaw and relocated it to the left side engine guard.
Since I did mine, I know @Mittzy now fabricates a very nice puke tank.
Puke-Tank.jpg

Oh yeah cool MOD.

I should do that with mine instead of spending $$$ on a chrome oil overflow tank weeks ago and still to fit.

I even have chrome paint too.

Some people don't seem to understand the principal. It's NOT a "catch" tank. It's a "recovery" tank. The inlet needs to be on the bottom, or if on the top, needs to have a tube that goes to the bottom. As coolant expands, it goes into the "recovery" tank. As the system cools down, it draws coolant back into the system. The principal is that you never have an air gap in the top of the radiator. I had to remove the tank from one of my Rockets, to allow clearance for triple K&N's, and just connected the drain tube directly to the radiator "overflow". With the system completely full, after a run, it will puke some fluid out. (not good if you have pets). And I occasionally have to top off the radiator. I'm going to install a "recovery" tank very soon.:)

A very field expedient modification, Jamie! :thumbsup:
Just FYI -
Many of us have crap-canned the OEM puke tank in order to gain extra room under the Bearclaw/Ozclaw and relocated it to the left side engine guard.
Since I did mine, I know @Mittzy now fabricates a very nice puke tank.
Puke-Tank.jpg

Yes. That is an option that I considered BUT I kinda like it out of the way under the bear claw.
I didn’t want more crap hanging off the side of the bike and wanted to keep it as streamlined and minimalist as possible. I just didn’t like having to take of the bear claw to check the level.

I thought about cutting a hole in it and epoxy in a piece of glass but this seemed easier and less prone to leaking.

Back